Best Opeth CD for a new listener

discouraged1 said:
My Arms, Your Hearse!!!

If you like that one, you will love everything else easily.:)
AHHHHHHHHHH , no . Blackwater Park or Still Life but not Mayh !!

I'd second either Stil Life, or My Arms Your Hearse- these two are Opeths classics, the only albums that have truly come together. Blackwater park has some excellent riffs and many fine moments- but it meanders on and on with really no point. The last two albums Damnation and Deliverance were definately a big step backwards- Damnation isnt as good as the acoustic songs on any of their metal albums- Deliverance has an added heaviness- but that is it. Notice how no one is recommending those two albums either. I think the Opeth fans have come to terms with how mediocre the last two albums were.

speed said:
I'd second either Stil Life, or My Arms Your Hearse- these two are Opeths classics, the only albums that have truly come together. Blackwater park has some excellent riffs and many fine moments- but it meanders on and on with really no point. The last two albums Damnation and Deliverance were definately a big step backwards- Damnation isnt as good as the acoustic songs on any of their metal albums- Deliverance has an added heaviness- but that is it. Notice how no one is recommending those two albums either. I think the Opeth fans have come to terms with how mediocre the last two albums were.

Actually. I think it has to do with those records not being out when this thread started-TWO YEARS AGO.

Give those two albums time, I do not have Deliverence yet(as the local store was out of it) but Damnation is a great record if you just take it for what it is.

My Arm Your Hearse is the their best album. it to taught the GREATNESS of opeth,but every album is the shit (yes even damnation is amazing).

Blackwater Park or Still Life. Both are fantastic, and they are stylishly in the "middle" where you can start to go on towards newer or older stuff. And propably the easiest to get into.

E: aaw didnt realize this was old, my humble apologies all around

Blackwater Park, but their best easily is Still Life. I say BWP cause if someone likes that, maybe will enjoy Deliverance, GR and maybe Watershed, just maybe.