Best way to introduce someone to melodic death...

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Nile- Black Seeds of Vengeance
Melodic Death Metal?? :lol: :lol:, you're a funny guy Dreamlord! ;)

Well, if the song must introduce someone to melodic Death Metal with the purpose to make that person like the style, it has to an accessable, easy to get into song. I think In Flames is the most accessable of the bunch (note: that doesn't mean they're best...), so a song like Moonshield, has a lot of acoustic stuff, should be easy to get into. Then gently move on to some more aggressive and "extreme" stuff, like Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates etc.

And end the CD with "Chapter For Transforming Into A Snake" by NILE, yeah!! :headbang: :heh: ;)

At The Gates - Blinded by Fear should, without a doubt, be the opening track to this comp for your friend!

All great suggestions. But I think people should also check out HATESPHERE from Denmark - Melodic Death Metal's true brutal/melodic purveyors!

I would also recommend putting Darkane, Haunted, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility (Monochromatic Stains = great new MDM song), Euacharist (pretty much the forefathers of MDM), Arch Enemy, The Forsaken etc etc on there too.

Good luck converting yoru friend to REAL metal. Disturbed are freakin terrible... :lol:

I agree that you need the quick burn, catchy, not many agressive vocals music.

TO this end, I'd recommend a start with IF, soilwork... then gradually build up until hes listening to Darkthrone and burning churches :p

In Flames-Embody The Invisable
Arch Enemy-Enemy Within
Dark Tranquillity-Hours Passed in Exile

Thats just for the starters :p

Well, seems like In Flames is the popular choice here, with Soilwork close behind. Off the topic of "easing" someone into it, though. Carcass "Swansong" got me into melodic death. I mean, if they can stand some guy barking like a dog (ie Disturbed), they won't have much more trouble listening to a scream or two.
Keep the opinions coming.