Black Metal.

I was lukewarm on that Austere album. I found the vocals way too grating and out of context with the music. I thought they should have gone Filosofem-style with the fuzzed-out approach.

Can anyone say if there is a particular Branikald album worth getting? If all 87 are the same, I might as well stick to the two I have.

I was lukewarm on that Austere album. I found the vocals way too grating and out of context with the music. I thought they should have gone Filosofem-style with the fuzzed-out approach.
I liked the album a lot but I think I know what you mean. Their two split albums sound more cohesive and I'd say if they were put together as a full length would be superior.

I got into black metal at the very end of last year, and have been listening religiously(or un-religiously?) to all the great early bands such as Mayhem, Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Burzum, Carpathian Forrest, etc.

I was wondering what is happening with the newer black metal scene. Is it any good? Is it in the same vein as all the old bands? What are some bands to look into now?

I got into black metal at the very end of last year, and have been listening religiously(or un-religiously?) to all the great early bands such as Mayhem, Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Burzum, Carpathian Forrest, etc.

I was wondering what is happening with the newer black metal scene. Is it any good? Is it in the same vein as all the old bands? What are some bands to look into now?

I'm by no means a Black Metal encyclopedia, but the major differences I've discovered are simply variety. There's bands that play similar to the old style but there's a lot of sub-genres and such that really mix it up a lot. For example, I'm rather partial to bands that mix folk and black metal like Windir, Drudkh, and Myrkgrav.

http://www.last.fm/music/Myrkgrav/_/Olav+Tryggvason

Last edited by a moderator:
Misery's Omen is the best Black Metal i've heard probably since Conqueror,completely different of course,Misery's Omen owe more to early Bethlehem.I've never heard anything so emotive in all of metal and that's a huge compliment for a band who plays bm that still has balls.This band might be the one to push me over the edge.