Black Metal.

I would consider Mayhem one of the leading black metal bands to this day. For a black metal band they are surely one of the most pure and melodic combined. Not saying they are the best. Theres plenty ofgood in black metal. Most black metal lies in the pagan metal genre however. Bands such as Nordicwinter, Bal-Sagoth, Amon Amarth, Thyrfing, and Black Messiah are a good example. I would agree though. The best bands of black metal however have the most pure sound depicting a black metal band. Brutal, Innovative, relevant themes to the genre, and melody. Bands such as Dark Funeral, Tsjuder, Behemoth, Belphegor, Funeral Mist, Mayhem, Ravencult, Gorgoroth, Immortal, Marduk, and Anal Nathrakh. What is real black metal, is the most brutal of all metal. Nobody can back that down however I would agree that Death metal is quite debatable however black metal has its rising points over the death metal schematics.

Hmmm its weird becuase Maniac didn't appear in a few albums. Your probly referring to Atilla whom was their singer on De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and Ordo Ad Chao, yea he is a better vocalist. You should check out Tormentor, hes in that band. I would say Mayhem is good either way. But eh, Mayhem may sound a bit less melodic after De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. It is kind of a let down in my view when they just went full blown guitar and drums. They sound more like a technical death metal band now.

Well I was never a big fan of Maniac. And every time they had Maniac, they sounded more technical, and everytime they had Atilla, they sound mroe melodic and organized. So if you like distorted, Maniac is for you. If you like melodic and organized which in my view is the better, go for Atilla. But yea. Def diff sound with vocal change.

Nevermind... I have come to the conclusion that its not Mayhem. I mean some people may like Maniac on vocals cuase he has a nails on the chalkboard style of screeching and i guess thats what die hard Mayhem fans want. When they saw Atilla come in they though. Fuck this isn't mayhem. but alot more people said. Fuck this is better than Mayhem

I think you may just be talking out of your ass but I'm pretty sure most black metal enthusiasts would prefer Attila and Dead over Maniac.

Not better, but worse...Kinstrife & Blood is/was a good Summoning knockoff.

Thanks for the Rec.. it's not bad. Sometimes I wish I could have Master tapes for some of these so I could do my own mixing/editing.

This I also consider close, and definitely good.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWTkJXl-K_I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWTkJXl-K_I[/ame]