Black Metal.

Listening to Varathron's first two albums, I really don't understand how these could be considered black metal. Great albums, but sounds a lot more like some sort of atmospheric death metal.

On the contrary, I don't see how anyone could consider Varathron death metal of any sort. Listen to the riffs in songs like 'Lustful Father' and 'Flowers of My Youth'. Total old school Hellenic black metal with a huge traditional heavy metal influence.

His Majesty at the Swamp is fucking amazing.

I would not go to that show even though I like those bands. Nazi fucks. I'll rape their girlfriends.

On the contrary, I don't see how anyone could consider Varathron death metal of any sort. Listen to the riffs in songs like 'Lustful Father' and 'Flowers of My Youth'. Total old school Hellenic black metal with a huge traditional heavy metal influence.

His Majesty at the Swamp is fucking amazing.

Yeah but the classic influence is big enough that its not even black metal anymore. Whatever, fuck the genre, still two great albums

Black Metal existed before Norwegians caught wind of it and changed the way most people identify the genre sonically, you know. Most of the seminal Hellenic black metal bands predate the Norwegians, so obviously their sound stems from a more traditional/80s understanding of the sound.