Black Metal.

I don't see why not. Armada and Kolossus are easily accessible.

I'd have to agree with her though... they aren't really fundamental enough to warrant a 'first purchase' black metal status.
I'd start with Emperor- Nightside. Classic album, still holds up today and not as raw or minimalistic as say Darkthrone or Burzum.

So what is so "horrid" about them? They're songs are epic as hell and Cernunnus is a phenomenal guitarist. Great musicianship all around tb quite fucking h.

They're good musos, no one is disputing that.

The thing is that, imo, while yes, they do have complex parts to their music, they aren't "challenging" as such. KoK, to me, waver towards the formulaic. They're predictable.

Of Mayhem's "Live in Liepzig" and "In Mysteriis", which is better? I only have Grand Conjuration, and I'm not fond, but I keep hearing to get anything before that.

You should get DMDS and Live in liepzig both.DMDS is obviously better.But if you don't get Live you'll miss Dead's immortal vocals,specially on the intro of "Freezing moon".:worship:notworthy:worship:

WHEN IT'S COOOOOOOOOOOOLD
AND WHEN IT'S DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK
THE FREEZING MOON CAN OBSESS YOOU

Keep of Kalessin started out mediocre and has gotten worse over time. Their songs seem to focus more on catchiness than any real depth or ideas.

I really want to start listening to more Black Metal. What do you guys recommend? I've already heard:

Bathory
Beherit
Blut Aus Nord
Burzum
Darkthrone
Dimmu Borgir
Dissection
Emperor
Enslaved
Enthroned
Ulver
Gorgoroth
Immortal
Marduk
Mayhem
Mercyful Fate
Satyricon
(Semargl)
Venom
Watain
Windir

Since the guys already recommended some good obscure bands, there's still one band that you should listen to, Summoning.

cannibal corpse,

Arckanum
Drudkh
early Borknagar
Celtic Frost
Elysian Blaze
Epheles
In The Woods - The Heart Of Ages
Mutiilation
Negura Bunget
Nasheim
Nortt (except the last one) (black/funeral doom)
Varathron