Black Sabbath - I don't get it

I like Black Sabbath and sometimes listen to them when i am in the right mood. That would mean, it needs to be summer and i want to be relaxed.
But i think most of their songs get boring very fast and after a phase of liking Black Sabbath i usually can't stand them for a while.
They did some really good stuff, but saying they were the best metal band is grotesque to me.

Yes, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to Sabbath as well. The season doesn't matter, and they don't get boring fast (though I still think Sabbath are better in small doses, as opposed to listening to them all the time). I like Sabbath, and they have tons of classic songs, but for some reason, they don't appeal to me as much as the bands I would rank among my favorites.

People who rate Sabbath as or among, the best, give weight to the more factual things and would argue their importance and degree of innovation etc. This is what J. argued and it is fairly indisputable.

Where is the confusion - as there isn't much to get? There will always be fanboys who think the sun shines out of Iommi's arse, but they are discounting the quality of other bands more than they are exaggerating the importance of Sabbath.

Well, as I already said, being the first =/= being the best. Sure, they were the first metal band, but from the beginning of guitar oriented music, it was destined to get more and more extreme till it reached a certain point. Black Sabbath just happened to be pushing the evelope to create the first form of metal almost forty years ago. This does not make them the best metal band ever. And I'm not talking about simple fanboy-ism; there are plenty of people who view Sabbath as the best metal band ever, while their favorite band is a completely different band. Even the most knowledgeable posters on here (Dodens, The Grey's, etc.) view Black Sabbath as the best metal band ever, though their favorite band is probably a different band.

Your so-called observation is incorrect.

True. But I would say that most people who view Sabbath as the absolute best are very much into traditional metal, and listen to tons of other traditional metal bands.

True. But I would say that most people who view Sabbath as the absolute best are very much into traditional metal, and listen to tons of other traditional metal bands.

Who are these alleged people? Are you including those of us who feel Sabbath was one of the best? How about those who view them as essential, and highly important in the metal scene? Is it any of them? Or is it just those who absolutely claim Sabbath in thee best metal band period?

Who are these alleged people? Are you including those of us who feel Sabbath was one of the best? How about those who view them as essential, and highly important in the metal scene? Is it any of them? Or is it just those who absolutely claim Sabbath in thee best metal band period?
No. I am talking about those who believe that Sabbath were THE best metal band ever. I myself view them as essential and highly important, and anyone who does not is wrong.

I have a mate who tells me that he enjoys Sabbath songs most when they are covered by other people. Of course, their music now sounds dated because of the production values of the day, and the extremely cheap nature of the first albums recording. That being said, I like the production of the early stuff because of its atmosphere and strange sound.

I really, really like Sabbath, it has to be said. That isn't to say that they are my favourite metal band, nor indeed my favourite "classic" metal band (that would be Maiden, hands down). Just curious Life Sucks, how do you stand on the Sabbath covers vs Original Sabbath debate ?

It's really no surprise that those who have absolutely minimal understanding and appreciation for hard rock and blues wouldn't find Black Sabbath to be all that amazing since those are the templates from which Black Sabbath built their own unique style of playing. With such an aversion to rock and a high affinity for extreme forms of Metal, it would really be for one sharing that opinion to consider Black Sabbath among the best Metal has to offer. But then again it's fairly apparent that bands in the vein of Black Sabbath don't exactly match the image that you have of what it is to be Metal. You tend to prefer the extreme end of the spectrum; that is why you listen to Metal. You don't listen to Metal for the same reasons as do the people who praise Black Sabbath.

You raised a very interesting point earlier Dodens, old chap. I got into metal via the "traditional" route along the lines of Maiden/Priest, through thrash to death and doom etc etc.

Hence I have found it relatively easy to enjoy most kinds of metal.

However, if your entry is via the so-called extreme bands, then how could one truly appreciate Black Sabbath ? They're essentially worlds apart. In the age of MP3's and easy, free downloads, much more easy to go and download the next br00tal band and shock the neighbours with it than listen to the defining pillars of our music. I'm only really suprised that bands like Maiden manage to get as much appreciation as they do around here.

The only reason you're not banned yet is because fucking Deron won't respond to any PMs...bastard.

I only kinda recently got into BS, because I bought We Sold Our Soul For Rock'n'Roll for a buck at Goodwill. Amazing collection.

The only reason you're not banned yet is because fucking Deron won't respond to any PMs...bastard.

I only kinda recently got into BS, because I bought We Sold Our Soul For Rock'n'Roll for a buck at Goodwill. Amazing collection.

Yes indeed, V, that it is. I know some will disagree, but I would buy all the OO Sabbath albums, the first two DIO fronted Sabbath albums, and maybe TYR. That being said, the rest is also good, just not essential.

I have a mate who tells me that he enjoys Sabbath songs most when they are covered by other people. Of course, their music now sounds dated because of the production values of the day, and the extremely cheap nature of the first albums recording. That being said, I like the production of the early stuff because of its atmosphere and strange sound.

I really, really like Sabbath, it has to be said. That isn't to say that they are my favourite metal band, nor indeed my favourite "classic" metal band (that would be Maiden, hands down). Just curious Life Sucks, how do you stand on the Sabbath covers vs Original Sabbath debate ?
I like some of the Sabbath covers better than the originals, but in some instances I like the originals better. It really depends on the song, the band, and how good their cover is. For instance, the song Electric Funeral (though a good song) lends it's self well to improved covers. It may have something to do with production values.