Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

Astral Poetry

"Eros! Your hand...!"
Mar 21, 2003
"...it's missing!"
Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is truly Varg's masterpiece, exceeding the boundaries of Aske and Det Som En Gang Var. It remains one of the final words in minimalism and compositional complexity. Opening track "Det Som En Gang Var" is the finest black metal song ever recorded, mixing pulsing guitars with minimal keyboards for brilliant results. Varg's rasping, screaching vocals add a feel of hopelessness and despair, unmatchable by many of today's vocalists. "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" shows a bit more complex guitar wise with shifting paces and fantastically placed dissonant chords. "Inn I Slottet Fra Droemmen" is another well crafted track, evocative and melodic, yet thoughtfull. Final track Tomhet is a minimalistic masterpiece. Composed entirely of ambient keyboards, you'll be enveloped within the layers of sound. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is one of the finest displays of music ever crafted.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
I really should try some Burzum out. Heard so many good things about the band. What's their best album to start with? I don't like annoying cheesy keyboard synths(as much as I like Symphony X)

My first was Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, but Burzum/Aske or Det Som Engang Var would probably be better to start with; but don't get me wrong - HLTO was definitely one of, if not the best thing Vikernes recorded under the Burzum project.

Planetary Eulogy said:
I'm as big a Graveland fan as you'll find, but let's be honest with ourselves; The Celtic Winter is merely a top notch reworking of the first two Burzum LP's...

...And? Even so, the first two Burzum LPs merely represent an undeveloped style, while The Celtic Winter is just absolute mastery.

Blut und krieg is great..
Taste our german steel is very good too.
I would rank Hvis lyset tar oss as one of the best black metal albums ever.

Yeah said:
...And? Even so, the first two Burzum LPs merely represent an undeveloped style, while The Celtic Winter is just absolute mastery.

The style is hardly 'undeveloped' on the first two Burzum discs, moreover, Graveland altered the forumula not in the slightest; The Celtic Winter is a clone of early Burzum, not a further development within a basic style.