Catching Up With Katatonia

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I've had the opportunity to purchase two excellent Katatonia CD's, TONIGHT'S DECISION and DANCE OF DECEMBER SOULS, two CD's that show the two sides of Katatonia. And I have been enjoying them.

And I recently bought yet another Katatonia CD...

VIVA EMPTINESS!

It's just so great! I love it!

It reminds me of Opeth's MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE. It sounds nothing like the CD, but it reminds me of the solidness of the songs, especially the opening and closing tunes.

"Ghost Of The Sun," I have no problem saying that it's a Katatonia classic. Easily one of their best songs. And so many solid tunes.
This CD is alot heavier and faster-paced than TONIGHT'S DECISION, and there's something else about it. A weird creepiness about it. I don't know if anyone's read the old children's classic "A Wrinkle In Time," but for some strange reason it reminded me of it. When the children traveled to this eerie alternate world where everything was in sync and large, odd-shaped buildings hovered overhead. There's a picture in the booklet of odd-looking skyscrapers and it's kind of what I had pictured that being, heh heh! And the one song that punctuates this is the brilliant, brilliant instrumental "Inside The City Of Glass," and that title, funny enough, fits like a glove. It's so...horrifying. In an absorbing way. The song just kind of engulfs you. I would have to say it's the best instrumental I've heard since "Epilogue," and that's my favourite instrumental ever.

This is an excellent CD. Thank you to Katatonia for the great music.

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
Well, the advantage of a used CD is that it's not that expensive...

The downside is that you (at least I) don't get the feeling of supporting the band (even if with 20 cents or some shit).

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
Yeah...that and the copies are sometimes worn out. Mabye that's a dumb reason for not getting a used CD, but I like the brand new CD's.

It's just not as cool to get a used cd in the mail as to go to the record store and shuffle through the cd's before picking up something. :) Which is why I'm always broke and have less cds than I would if I bought my stuff from The End. Need to start soon though...