Character leaked

Schwedentod said:
@insidethefall: You seem not to be really in DT, otherwise you wouldn't post this... Haven was quite quiet (...) and Damage Done was something like the way, MeloDeath is supposed to go. Then, Character is a new, more Death-ish (...) style of DT, more like The Gallery and TMI, where DD was something like Haven meets the other 2. Character is much more complex, much harder to get into. After I listened to it about 20 or 30 times now, I still can't get into it as much as with DD, although I love it so far.
QUOTE]

Well, the thing is, that I am a reasonably big fan of Dark Tranquillity but I just find that their style is getting really stagnant and I don't think they are contributing anything original anymore nor are they living up to their full potential as a band. It seems like During the Minds I and then Projector they were always trying out new things. On the Projector album we heard Stanne use his amazing clean vocals, we heard ballads and many different ideas. Then on Haven some of that disappeared Stanne's reason for ditching the clean vocals was 'the album was too heavy, they didn't fit' I say that's no excuse! Damage Done was indeed heavier, great tunes but more of the same types of songs on the album, Character is just Damage Done part 2! Besides the production and some more agressive drum work, i can't see any difference. Of course their are a couple songs that are a little different, and those are the ones that I like the best. but still no clean vocals (if you can't tell by now, I love his clean vocals) and the style of songwriting has become formulaic, It's ashame that i knew exactly what was going to happen, the first time I heard character.

Again, I don't think the album 'sucks' it's pretty decent actually but there is no excuse is making the same songs over again, especially when you release an album every 2 or 3 years. And Character is not death metal, it's not even melodic death metal, not that that's a bad thing I just think people always mislabel Dark Tranquillity as such.

The Don said:
:err: When I listen to character I find it hard to believe it is the same band that made Haven just a several years before! I agree they are somewhat similar , but "muchly the same"?

Not Adventurous? mmmmmaaayybe. Boring?:guh: Maybe you'd like the new In Flames album better. It has clean vocals, and is VERY adventurous :lol: !
In who ? Seriously In flames is probably the complete opposite of Dark tranquillity now. All the things i'm criticizing DT for IF do, but just in the suckiest way possible, at least DT are still making quality music and not trite pop metal garbage :yuk:

I wholeheartedly disagree with you there, ITF. By no means is a different style of singing wholey representative of the progress of a band over half their albums. The whole tempo of this album is different - the guitars, one airy, one earthy - the keyboards, playing more of a prominent role than ever before, and so richly done - the entirely new beats, switching up the pacing of a song so abruptly, something that I may have seen coming, but certainly is not repetitive.

The vocals are no rehashing of Haven or Damage Done, either - this is growling straight out of the TMI/Gallery era. And if DT is not melodic death metal, then, a) what are they?, and b) if the, dare I say, founders of the sound no longer represents the sound, then who?

Honestly, this is 5x the album I was hoping for. Every song grabs me and forces me to bang my head till I can't see straight. I hang on every word, find myself walking in tempo with the drums, and scare passerby with the wild look in my eye that can only be described by listening to the album. This is, in fact, the new shit.

~kov. (ok, a bit over-the-top, but my point stands)

Well, the thing is, that I am a reasonably big fan of Dark Tranquillity but I just find that their style is getting really stagnant and I don't think they are contributing anything original anymore nor are they living up to their full potential as a band. It seems like During the Minds I and then Projector they were always trying out new things. On the Projector album we heard Stanne use his amazing clean vocals, we heard ballads and many different ideas. Then on Haven some of that disappeared Stanne's reason for ditching the clean vocals was 'the album was too heavy, they didn't fit' I say that's no excuse! Damage Done was indeed heavier, great tunes but more of the same types of songs on the album, Character is just Damage Done part 2! Besides the production and some more agressive drum work, i can't see any difference. Of course their are a couple songs that are a little different, and those are the ones that I like the best. but still no clean vocals (if you can't tell by now, I love his clean vocals) and the style of songwriting has become formulaic, It's ashame that i knew exactly what was going to happen, the first time I heard character.

Again, I don't think the album 'sucks' it's pretty decent actually but there is no excuse is making the same songs over again, especially when you release an album every 2 or 3 years. And Character is not death metal, it's not even melodic death metal, not that that's a bad thing I just think people always mislabel Dark Tranquillity as such.
I disagree. It's new because it hasn't been done properly for half a decade.

Damage Done is Haven part 2. With those two albums, the keyboards drove the songs - on Character it's the guitar and vocals. As a result, the compositions have greater force and energy. DT had done all they could with the keyboard-driven futuristic songs - let the followers (Soilwork, In Flames) take that forward and let the true leader DT move on once again as they should

Miolo: Ok, I think we're four now. You, Siren, Wolfman and I should travel to a desolated island. Together we will gather enough strength so that we can resist the urge to download the new DT album.

Probably it means lots of group meditation and alcohol to soothe our pains.

I bring the alcohol.
You bring the pie.
:D

hibernal_dream said:
I disagree. It's new because it hasn't been done properly for half a decade.

Damage Done is Haven part 2. With those two albums, the keyboards drove the songs - on Character it's the guitar and vocals. As a result, the compositions have greater force and energy. DT had done all they could with the keyboard-driven futuristic songs - let the followers (Soilwork, In Flames) take that forward and let the true leader DT move on once again as they should

Damage done as Haven part 2? NO WAY! I have to disagree here here. Haven had much slower songs with an almost (for lack of better words) gothic feal to it. DT tuned to E flat, which made the album sound totally different to Projector (which is in C#). Damage Done, even though it didn't bring back clean vocals, I felt that the heavy vibe was brought back to the plate. I think that yes, the keyboards are definately present on Character, but I think they made their biggest mark on Haven.

Character is far different than Damage Done. Yes, Damage Done did bring back the really heavy element in the band. However, Character is so much more urgent in its delivery than even Damage Done. Character has more dynamics than Damage Done. Character also has a new first for DT-drop tuning on the track "The Endless Feed" (The song is in drop-B tuning).

To say DT has gone stagnet during the course of Haven/Damage Done/Character is just not true. All those cd's still sound like DT, but they have not gone astray like some of the other bands mentioned on this forum.

i wrote an email to the seller of the auction and told him that it would be smart to remove it because what he was doing was highly illegal and if the band catches wind he is likely to get caught in a lawsuit.

Erik said:
Can you honestly say with a straight face that with the "Haven" - "Damage Done" - "Character" run DT changed as much as they did with "The Gallery" - "The Mind's I" - "Projector"?

Relatively speaking, the last three albums have indeed been muchly the same.

No, especially the step between TMI and Projector was huge, but I didn't wat to say that. But I think there is as much difference between Haven and Projector as with Haven and damage Done... OK, a little less with H and DD, but however.

Does there always HAVE to be really big changes, just to get a great record? I don't think so. DT did with projector, which is a great album, but look at (e.g.) Soilwork. I (personally) don't think that Natural Born Chaos is a good record, and there have been wuite much changes.

insidethefall said:
Schwedentod said:
@insidethefall: You seem not to be really in DT, otherwise you wouldn't post this... Haven was quite quiet (...) and Damage Done was something like the way, MeloDeath is supposed to go. Then, Character is a new, more Death-ish (...) style of DT, more like The Gallery and TMI, where DD was something like Haven meets the other 2. Character is much more complex, much harder to get into. After I listened to it about 20 or 30 times now, I still can't get into it as much as with DD, although I love it so far.
QUOTE]

The difference between DD and Character is that DD was/is easy to listen to (mor or less). I heard it 10 times and remenbered every song every time. I heard Character about 20 times or even more and still have some problems getting into several songs, as they're highly complex. This means, Character is one of these great albums you can listen to even after years (and I still listen to DD quite often...) without getting rid of it.

@Child Of Time: I didn't download the album... ;)

MagSec4 said:
It was Tranquillian!
Quick!, someone kick his ass. :lol:
And don't go easy on him just because his birthday was several days ago :p
It was not. The band had not even received their own copies as of a few days ago, hence I don't have a copy myself.

Im actually surprised so far with character, is not at all Damage Done or Haven logical evolution, it sounds more like a pre projector albums with a seamless adition of keyboards and other elements.

Misanthrope said:
Im actually surprised so far with character, is not at all Damage Done or Haven logical evolution, it sounds more like a pre projector albums with a seamless adition of keyboards and other elements.

well so far I've just listened to The New Build, but I must say that I agree with you. It has a strong TMI vibe, and the blast beat just brought me to tears... hope I'll be able to finish downloading the other tracks today