chat, feelings, and random discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I wanted to know if anyone else found this behavior to be odd? ~kov.

Well, yes, it's pretty weird. If I take someone whom I met on teh Internet to a party or other social gathering, I do not hide the fact that I met them online, but that's different. I don't see why someone should introduce themselves that way; maybe it's to fend off all the unpleasant comments that tend to accompany the subsequent revelation (in this country, people normally comment "What a lame way to meet" or similar, even if most of time this is done behind the involved peoples' collective backs).

Yeah, there is a lot of that kind of attitude over here, as well, but it's becoming much more accepted.

And I don't recommend hiding the fact that they've met over the internet, but it just seemed so out of place. Almost like he was a spokesperson for the site.

~kov.

zomg! He probably owns this shirt, too

00001637.jpg

I was watching Babel yesterday, and suddenly, I started to get some shivers. I thought it was that someone turned on the air conditioner, but it certainly wasn't the case.

So the shivers were still going on, so I put on my newly acquired Therion "Gothic Kablaah" Europe World Tour '07 :) :headbang: :kickass: , but still the shivers persisted.

The movie was so good i couldn't leave the cinema :p , but as soon as I finished i started feeling rather bad, so i told Mrs.Gigi, and well, in the end I ended up having a shot in a clinic :cry: . Funny thing is that that's the shot in my butt that has hurted the least, to the point in which when I have to inject meself the insulinf for the diabetes, it may hrt a bit more hehe :ill: :p .

Anyway, I'm feeling betta now, though i won't be able to go out for a qhile, buuuu :cry: .

fireangel said:
The analyzing - feeling is not wrong, I think, just if you are stuck with several options, go with what you feel is right.

hyena said:
Nevermind that - as an economist by trade, I've been doing that for the last ten years and I'm still here to tell the tale. :)

Well, but as I think the flaws are a little too obvious I'm not entirely comfortable with being that influenced by it after only one week... :Smug:

I just found out there's a game called Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (released in april last year - up to date? who? me?), which is some sort of adventure/shooter/stealth game. As I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately, I just have to try it, although I got scared just by reading the review. Silly me. :ill:o_O

Well, you'll eventually have sensible thoughts again, do not despair. it's like calculating vector products at every road indication when you start studying linear algebra.

nf: not really proud of myself, yet empowered. and persuaded, quite sadly, that sometimes we have to shed the blood of innocent bystanders to feel self-confident.

I just found out there's a game called Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (released in april last year - up to date? who? me?), which is some sort of adventure/shooter/stealth game. As I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately, I just have to try it, although I got scared just by reading the review. Silly me. :ill:o_O

For what it's worth, my advice concerning the Dark Corners of the Earth is: Don't bother. It has a great Lovecraftian mood in the beginning, but soon the game turns into your average shoot-em-up. I mean, you literally need to kill hundreds of people in Innsmouth to complete the game. And you will die hundreds of times as well. It is just constant saving/dying/reloading for 90% of the game.

Still, it felt like one of the best games I had ever played for the first half on hour or so. Until the first actual combat-scene, that is. :zombie:

If you want to have a Lovecraft-like gaming experience, I'd recommend the excellent Arkham Horror -boardgame instead. It is a co-operative game suitable for 1 to 8 players (yes, you can play it solo), where the players try to stop Great Old Ones from returning to earth. It's truly a wonderful game.

-Villain

For what it's worth, my advice concerning the Dark Corners of the Earth is: Don't bother. It has a great Lovecraftian mood in the beginning, but soon the game turns into your average shoot-em-up. I mean, you literally need to kill hundreds of people in Innsmouth to complete the game. And you will die hundreds of times as well. It is just constant saving/dying/reloading for 90% of the game.

Still, it felt like one of the best games I had ever played for the first half on hour or so. Until the first actual combat-scene, that is. :zombie:

Hmm. That doesn't sound as promising as the gamespot review were it got about an 8 in overall score despite it's flaws. I guess I try it anyway, as I can get access to it easily.

If you want to have a Lovecraft-like gaming experience, I'd recommend the excellent Arkham Horror -boardgame instead. It is a co-operative game suitable for 1 to 8 players (yes, you can play it solo), where the players try to stop Great Old Ones from returning to earth. It's truly a wonderful game.

-Villain

I think I need more friends that enjoys obscure culture before I can play that game. Or is it really that amusing to play it alone? :p

The phone conversation got funnier after my last post. But it's the morning, so I don't remember it all. It definitely involved asking DT if they could hook her up with some nano-product suppliers. And some talk of moving to Sweden because of all the microsystems labs they have there.

One thing it did make me think about, though, was that it seems to me there is a lot more focus on science and math over on that side of the atlantic. Now I know some of you guys are engineering students and the like, and others are more into the financial sector, but just in general, do you find the people around you to be well educated in science and math?

~kov.

One thing it did make me think about, though, was that it seems to me there is a lot more focus on science and math over on that side of the atlantic. Now I know some of you guys are engineering students and the like, and others are more into the financial sector, but just in general, do you find the people around you to be well educated in science and math?

~kov.

I don´t think "that side of the atlantic" is very specific ;D
Some countries are very good at technology, which includes Scandinavia, Germany and France (sorry for any country I forgot to mention), others are good at certain subjects, for example the Netherlands are grand with flood protection; I heard there are people over to New Orleans in order to help planning new systems.
In Germany, the technology expertise is concentrated in certain areas, around universities (for example Munich) or close to industrial clusters who need the knowledge, such as regions in Eastern Germany that have companies dealing with optical products or chemistry. Freiburg in Southern Germany is famous for solar technology.

I find that the general education in sciences is not very good at school, and I know few people who are very techie, but that´s probably dependent on randomness as there are many university cities with tenthousands of tech students :p

Standardized tests given by the OECD to European students showed that Italians are lousy at math and science. We have a very small number of science graduates in universities, too. Apparently, the Finns lead the pack where quantitative reasoning is concerned.

Our national areas of expertise are the liberal arts and law. Automotive engineering is probably about to have a second golden age as well.

NF: stressed
NF2: exited

1)
Next week, i start my exams for the winter semester.
I still have classes this week and next week, but some of the prof have already put their exam next week.
Here is my nice ( :puke: ) schedule for next week:
Monday: Physik of the Earth
Tuesday: Geological Mapping
Friday: Math

and besides i have a phyiscs lab report due on Thursday of that week and some 2 pages of exercices on Monday. :mad: .

I wont have a lot of time to study for those 2 exams at the begining of the week i suppose...

2)
On an other hand, i will get a new computer at the end of this week or at the beginning of next week (great, i will study even less :p ). i wont be able to really test it when it comes :cry:

EDIT/ now i am competing with LBRH for the abuse of smileys :p

~kov.

:guh: I've always imagined that you - being an engineer from NY - belong to the American "islands of excellence" that we've been told about - MIT, Harvard, Yale etc, and if there're focus on maths and science somewhere, that would be there?

There's a term in Swedish that plays a role in the educational system over here and that I can't translate really - "allmänbildning", roughly translates to "general education" - which means that you know a little about everything and makes you seem more educated until you start to discuss something more in detail - don't know if that's a part of the explanation...

NF: Tired, and suddently a little more lonely than usual. And I don't know if I've made any sense, both in this post and earlier this evening. Crap. :zzz:

Why thanks, CoT :) That's sort of my point, though - that a lot of the people I interact with (at work as well as in my commute and such) aren't really adequately versed in math and science.

To be quite honest, most of my education has been very much along the lines of what you described as happening in Europe. I went to a private high-school that gave me a very balanced education, and then, though I went for engineering, I took went for 'General engineering' which basically means I know the basics in each of the specific fields. It comes in handy for construction, because I do really need to know a bit about each, but I'm a poor example of engineering in the US, I think.

My fiancee, on the other hand, would definitely fit into one of those 'islands of excellence' you mentioned - having gotten her bachelor's and master's in Mechanical Engineering, and currently going for her PhD in the same at MIT, focusing in nanotechnology. However, and she'll be the first to admit it, she has great trouble with more 'liberal arts' types of subjects - language, grammar, communication.

However, I tend to deal with a lot of less educated people (not necessarily stupid) in my line of work, and I also get to see a glimpse of the public education system as well (working with the School Construction Authority in NYC) and so I recognize that alot of the knowledge base is truly clustered. As was described before, it seems alot of the specific knowledge of a field tends to be clumped in specific geographic areas. I just tend to notice more of those locations abroad than I do here at home.

So, basically, I guess I'm asking whether or not people you interact with tend to be more 'balanced' in their studies and knowledge, as opposed to the highly focused people I tend to deal with - as in, most people tend to know their subject incredibly well, to the detriment of all others.

~kov.

Status
Not open for further replies.