chat, feelings, and random discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
KC: I wish your story a happy ending too. It takes emotion to be able to understand such a story, and by writing it you've shown yourself to be someone who is alive, someone who has embraced the wonderful colors of life.

Tritonus said:
Plintus: I cpuld have sworn I saw you at the Miami-airport, but I was probably extremly tired..

if you saw me, you'd be dead sure that was me :) But no, I'm banned from Florida... for anti-social behavior. So I can't go to Disneyland :erk:

rahvin said:
there is actually only 3 people i could name (but i won't) whose english is definitely a problem when it comes to understanding what they mean, nuances and all. you're not in that number by any stretch of the imagination. rincewind, on the other hand, is. all talk of intelligence aside, of course.
Including our (rather extensive and numerous) ICQ conversations (and, of course, including all of UM), i have come across maybe two unreadable sentences by Rincewind, which is much more than can be said for many more than three UM members.

Ok, i'll drop it now.

on the "use of language" diatribe:

about the only things that can actually make it harder for people to understand someone's posts, in my view, are an inappropriate choice of words and/or really terrible grammar. formal vs. informal is really not a problem, and slightly awkward turns of phrase aren't either. even when one of the above are there, at times it comes natural to tolerate the mistakes and re-read the more obscure passages if need be.

and of course i'm not saying that someone with a good command of the english language is automatically a better poster, or more likely to be loved by the readers: for instance, while i suppose i can be considered fairly fluent in writing, i imagine some would rather apply another label to my style. like, i don't know, "stuck-up prick" or "here comes the diarrhea".

i don't have a hard time understanding rincewind's posts, as such, but since her choice of words is limited, i imagine a lot of nuances and suggestions that she might be trying to convey are just lost in translation. however, her attitude has never been one of arrogance in regards to either her fluency or her persona as a whole, which is good enough for me: i don't want to come off as too much of a grammar nazi. while i do believe that correct, precise writing makes for better communication, i'm only inclined to be a total asshole when someone is behaving all high and mighty... from a horse that turns out to be not so tall after all. i don't remember mocking or otherwise pointing out rincewind's use of language unnecessarily - and, to be perfectly honest, neither did hyena.

i like vizjaqtaar attitude and desire to be told when he's mistreating the english language, and i'm surprised by kc's unnecessary half-apology concerning his own, always completely readable and well-penned messages. i was expressing no specific disapproval in this discussion, mainly because if i were to do such a thing i'd have to name the 2 remaining not-so-comprehensible posters, and i don't want to get personal about this.

so, carry on. there are no inadequacies to correct here.

UndoControl said:
Including our (rather extensive and numerous) ICQ conversations (and, of course, including all of UM), i have come across maybe two unreadable sentences by Rincewind, which is much more than can be said for many more than three UM members.

i'll have dr. house answer to that:
"fine, have it your way. but if you're wrong and the patient dies, your face will be sooo red" ;)

also, she can answer to this herself, especially since you made such a fuss about not being her knight in shining armor.

rahvin said:
i don't remember mocking or otherwise pointing out rincewind's use of language unnecessarily - and, to be perfectly honest, neither did hyena.

That would have been a trifle, which everybody wouldve laughed at and move on, simply because written language is all you are left with on a forum. But hyenas assumptions were based on "accumulated knowledge", whatever that is and however she accumulated it.

marduk1507 said:
That would have been a trifle, which everybody wouldve laughed at and move on, simply because written language is all you are left with on a forum. But hyenas assumptions were based on "accumulated knowledge", whatever that is and however she accumulated it.

i think i commented on your reaction to that infamous post back when it was at the other end of everyone's accusing finger, so i won't repeat myself. my mentioning her message in this case, however, was just because i don't want different topics - or posters - mixed up: no one (as far as i know) is out to offend/insult rincewind because of her use of english. in this here thread, for instance, such a mix-up seemed on the verge of happening. but i suppose you'll have to trust someone else's judgement on this, since having someone on ignore would qualify your point of view about their posts as, literally, ignorant.

6 Stringed Fingers said:
Good to see you still alive and kicking, gangsta. :heh:

That was no joke, when we went out to get some "soul food" in the middle of the night (2 am?) with a guy in red tight spandex pants :lol:

:OMG:

Yesterday evening, i felt a bit confused. I got a link to a blog of a friend I have known for 15 years, which whom I have been in the same class for 12 years. While I was reading this, I couldnt recognise her. She had changed so much, it felt so strange.
I know that after I went to the US, I almost lost contact with all my friends, and I only saw her thrice in the 2 last years, and it felt like contact wasnt very good between us.
Seeing someone become so totally different in 2 years was quite a shock for me... And this blog sounded so emo, so depressed. Sounded like a girl crying because she can never find her love... and reading the comments from other people it actully looks like she was thinking to kill herself or something

:ill: :ill:

I wouldn't worry about that DS. It has become an element of youth culture to display their darkest thoughts and emotions through a means which their freinds can share... part as a way to vent and part as a way to get attention.

NF: I had a really bad anxiety attack earlier... Like ones I used to have when I was young. Caused by nothing. I got really really worried and it spiralled, but I think I'm over it now. I got to thinking about some awful things... I realised all my sadness prior to that moment was absolutely nothing compared to people who have severe depression and anxiety.

I have always written that kind of emo teenager bullshit in a notebooks i kept in a piece of furniture next to my bed, but i never made it public :p Nor did I write so sad or depressed things...
should i post the link?

I have had some anxiety attacks sometimes, but they just come when i am in a really crowded place. Like when you must queue for hours for something. Or once it happened in the subway, during a class journey... During those, I always felt like I couldnt breathe, and I couldnt eat anything for the rest of the day afterwards it happenend, because i felt I would throw up right away. Thankfully last time I had one of those was 3 or4 years ago...

That sounds alot like what I had... I was sort of worried, I thought it was something serious at first. But if you've had them and you're ok now, then I take comfort in that. It was really wierd. It's still lingering... the sickness and the feeling in my gut. I think I need to cry or scream or vent somehow. Not to sound emo or anything...

Yeah, I have those from time to time, but I know that theyll go away. I probably have a lower level of that chemical in my brain, which should keep me in ballance, serotonin? Its the same as DS said, I almost cant breathe, I sort of feel like my ribcage wont spread more, I sometimes feel pain in the left part of my chest which goes all the way to my left shoulder-blade. Weird stuff.

rahvin said:
i think i commented on your reaction to that infamous post back when it was at the other end of everyone's accusing finger, so i won't repeat myself. my mentioning her message in this case, however, was just because i don't want different topics - or posters - mixed up: no one (as far as i know) is out to offend/insult rincewind because of her use of english. in this here thread, for instance, such a mix-up seemed on the verge of happening. but i suppose you'll have to trust someone else's judgement on this, since having someone on ignore would qualify your point of view about their posts as, literally, ignorant.

Yeah, you did. And I completely agree with you, that hyena has never commented or mocked Rincewinds use of English, and that Im ignorant towards her. The post above was my reaction to your post, not any of hyenas. So, you have your reasons for the post above, but I think it is useless with regard to what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.