chat, feelings, and random discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
nah, no hidden meaning (except in the turbo-folk posts, of course :lol: ). if i want to say something, i say it plainly - if i want to say that someone is an idiot, i will say "he/she is an idiot".

@Cuthalion: :)
I think that song goes like this:
"Maria with the yellow dress
who do you love best
your husband or your neighbour?" :D

@Kathleen: i'm sorry for your loss :(

UndoControl said:
1. Now it's obvious that Rincewind is stupid?

flargb! juppt! klopperkantz! lulululubudu!!!

it might be worth bringing to your attention that the more you get so obviously wound up by allegations concerning your e-date, the more they'll keep coming. a past of torturing kittens? check! college drop-out without the money to learn proper english? check! vapid internet midget using her feminine guiles to get wealthy mexican to vouch for her? double-check! and if you think i'm being mean you should look into anger management. i can tell because i should too (i'm not joking).

leave it alone already. people are bound to have misconceptions about anything you make so blatantly public as this flirt. if you start worrying now you can say goodbye to sanity.

I thought false statements couldn't be obvious, but whatever.

this is obviously false.

@hyena: drat, i knew someone would talk! i'm sorry i didn't warn you about this, but it sort of came out of nowhere and i'm still not too sure as to what i should do now that i'm here. still, the climate i like and the internet connection comes easy, so let's just keep in touch and see, ok?

rahvin said:
it might be worth bringing to your attention that the more you get so obviously wound up by allegations concerning your e-date, the more they'll keep coming.

leave it alone already. people are bound to have misconceptions about anything you make so blatantly public as this flirt.

+1
absolutely right

Dark_Silence said:
But it seems here you havent seen people who really cant speak English... I have seen some really awful texts, but none of them on this forum...

well... it depends on what you compare it with, in my opinion. we're certainly a few precious steps above teen central, or the internet movie database boards, praised be the icelandic gods. still, for the most part internet illiteracy in english comes - believe it or not - from native english speakers. it's just that they lack everything in terms of culture, and nothing in terms of wanting to open their virtual mouth on teh intraweb. most non-native speakers are shy about showing their (supposed) shortcomings to strangers, and those that actually have frequent access to the net and are interested in taking part in a discussion have a greater mastery of english than most of their british or - let's say it - american counterpart.

the americans we have on this board rarely come up with native illiteracy, [to clarify: none of the americans we have as regulars ever does. i mean that ever so rarely a newcomer stops by and drools over the keyboard from somewhere in the united states] and the vast majority of europeans type in a way that is almost indistinguishable from that of a native speaker, aside from a certain choice of words, i guess. there is actually only 3 people i could name (but i won't) whose english is definitely a problem when it comes to understanding what they mean, nuances and all. you're not in that number by any stretch of the imagination. rincewind, on the other hand, is. all talk of intelligence aside, of course.

@ rahvin:

When she posted a longer text than usually, i could understand her. Maybe i am just used to see people whose English is really bad, at least at school (I think the way English is thaught in schools is wrong).

I was also thinking of forum, where people just write in SMS message style like this: " hi how r u" or things like that. Or people who just write 5 different sentences in one, with no ponctuation inbetween them. Which makes the post almost impossible to read...

well, about knowledge of languages and being stupid: as i mentioned in another thread, i'm trying to sing along to a song but i don't understand the lyrics, and this definitely makes me feel (nevermind look) completely stupid :lol:

Lemme just ask, when people don't type totally formal, and type more like they speak, using phonetic spellings and other such stuffs... does this piss any of you off? I mean, depending on my mood I slip in and out of more lazy and informal phrases which make sense to me, as it's the way me and my mates talk. Although sometimes I get the impression people find it hard to follow... That aside, I proper love the way I write. It's like how I speak in real life after half a bottle of port... only the topic isn't masterbation... always.

NF: I been on holiday for a week and before I left I was feeling pretty screwed up. I want to make it clear, I'm not an ungrateful or pointlessly moody adolescent... I don't think I'm being hard-done-to, and thats not why I've been sad. I'm sad because I have social anxieties, bordering on clinical at times. Also the lack of intimacy, which is a result of my anxiety, was taking its toll on me big style. I'm paranoid my freinds dislike me, and so I stopped spending time with them as to not displease them with my presence.

But anyway, that's what was up. Since I got back from holiday I've felt really recharged and sort of more comfortable... like instead of batteling my fears, I'm accepting them and by some miracle the apathetic approach to these things is benefitting my social rapport and general appearance.

Also recharged my musical creativity. Been playing some geetar and been loving it instead of labouring it.

Here's a nice story for you all... One of my best mates has had really strong feelings for this girl he met three years ago at a party... He'd seen her twice since that party three years ago and everytime he's gotten along really well with her. Typically it lead to him falling seriously for her. He used to get drunk and talk about her, and I thought it was funny, he's this butch metal head and he gets all soppy and heartachey. lovely. Anyway, they bumped into each other on friday night for the first time in a while and they got along great again.

Problem is, she's got a boyfreind. Lasted 6 years... but only because he's a violent abusive prick who keeps her trained with his threats.

So doesn't seem there's much chance for my mate to get in there... and he's all fruhstrated. It's so teen movie. I went out with him last night to a metal club, and surely enough this girl of his dreams agrees to come along... first time I've actually met her, and Im not kidding you, she's the girl of anybodies dreams. She's incredibly beautiful (her descendancy is really mixed... like a 1/4 greek, a 1/4 french a 1/4 english and a 1/4 mexican) and incredibly charming but in a reserved way. It doesnt surprise me my mate is basically "in love" with her.

Anyway, we chew the fat for a while, have us some mosh and drinks... and half way through the night this girls friend tells me to encourage my mate to make a move on her... and she says she's gonna do the same for her freind... It's all so highschool. Anyway. We pick up a round of drinks and go to find my friend and his love, and there they are, in each others arms... sharing an immensely heartwarming moment of intimacy. My jaw hit the floor. I wanted to cry and hug my mates face!

That night the girl got a phone call from her boyfreind, demanding she "get a taxi home right now"... She tells him she's going to be civil about all this, and that the relationship is over. He starts saying she's a fat slag and is shit in bed and loads of other alpha male dick head things, which has earned him a punch in the teeth if I ever see him, as this girl who is now my best freinds girlfriend, is far from fat. Anyway, I actually can't believe he is with her after having to listen to him talk about his crush for her like she's some kind of unattainable moviestar or super model. It's one of the best things that's ever happened pretty much... Such a hollywood ending. It's really really touched me to be honest.

Gonna be fun to see how it unfolds... Her now exboyfriend is an absolute monster of a person... He will cause extreme pain to my mates face no doubt.

King Chaos said:
Lemme just ask, when people don't type totally formal, and type more like they speak, using phonetic spellings and other such stuffs... does this piss any of you off? I mean, depending on my mood I slip in and out of more lazy and informal phrases which make sense to me, as it's the way me and my mates talk. Although sometimes I get the impression people find it hard to follow... That aside, I proper love the way I write. It's like how I speak in real life after half a bottle of port... only the topic isn't masterbation... always.

Writing like you speak is OK, I actually do that all the time. For phonetic spelling, it depends how it is used, and how much. When it is still obvious to understand, no problem. Nut some people also like to put numbers in their sentences and all that stuff, i personally hate that because i have to read that kind of writing like 3 times before i get it.
I know where to find examples in French, for the really awfull way of writing I was talking about. I could try to find one in English...

King Chaos said:

NF: I been on holiday for a week and before I left I was feeling pretty screwed up. I want to make it clear, I'm not an ungrateful or pointlessly moody adolescent... I don't think I'm being hard-done-to, and thats not why I've been sad. I'm sad because I have social anxieties, bordering on clinical at times. Also the lack of intimacy, which is a result of my anxiety, was taking its toll on me big style. I'm paranoid my freinds dislike me, and so I stopped spending time with them as to not displease them with my presence.

But anyway, that's what was up. Since I got back from holiday I've felt really recharged and sort of more comfortable... like instead of batteling my fears, I'm accepting them and by some miracle the apathetic approach to these things is benefitting my social rapport and general appearance.

Also recharged my musical creativity. Been playing some geetar and been loving it instead of labouring it.

Here's a nice story for you all... One of my best mates has had really strong feelings for this girl he met three years ago at a party... He'd seen her twice since that party three years ago and everytime he's gotten along really well with her. Typically it lead to him falling seriously for her. He used to get drunk and talk about her, and I thought it was funny, he's this butch metal head and he gets all soppy and heartachey. lovely. Anyway, they bumped into each other on friday night for the first time in a while and they got along great again.

Problem is, she's got a boyfreind. Lasted 6 years... but only because he's a violent abusive prick who keeps her trained with his threats.

So doesn't seem there's much chance for my mate to get in there... and he's all fruhstrated. It's so teen movie. I went out with him last night to a metal club, and surely enough this girl of his dreams agrees to come along... first time I've actually met her, and Im not kidding you, she's the girl of anybodies dreams. She's incredibly beautiful (her descendancy is really mixed... like a 1/4 greek, a 1/4 french a 1/4 english and a 1/4 mexican) and incredibly charming but in a reserved way. It doesnt surprise me my mate is basically "in love" with her.

Anyway, we chew the fat for a while, have us some mosh and drinks... and half way through the night this girls friend tells me to encourage my mate to make a move on her... and she says she's gonna do the same for her freind... It's all so highschool. Anyway. We pick up a round of drinks and go to find my friend and his love, and there they are, in each others arms... sharing an immensely heartwarming moment of intimacy. My jaw hit the floor. I wanted to cry and hug my mates face!

That night the girl got a phone call from her boyfreind, demanding she "get a taxi home right now"... She tells him she's going to be civil about all this, and that the relationship is over. He starts saying she's a fat slag and is shit in bed and loads of other alpha male dick head things, which has earned him a punch in the teeth if I ever see him, as this girl who is now my best freinds girlfriend, is far from fat. Anyway, I actually can't believe he is with her after having to listen to him talk about his crush for her like she's some kind of unattainable moviestar or super model. It's one of the best things that's ever happened pretty much... Such a hollywood ending. It's really really touched me to be honest.

Gonna be fun to see how it unfolds... Her now exboyfriend is an absolute monster of a person... He will cause extreme pain to my mates face no doubt.

Well, Im a renowned lover of all these little grammatical and lexical mishaps, so no, they dont really piss me off.

And to that story, wow, miracles still happen. I hope youre gonna stand by your mate when that fag comes to "talk".

rahvin said:
vast majority of europeans type in a way that is almost indistinguishable from that of a native speaker, aside from a certain choice of words, i guess.
I must get rid of this slovene interference, can you people please correct me when I do it wrong? :) It's hard to learn it if you don't live in an english speaking environment. :erk:

An "unusual" way of writing your posts is fine by me if the message is clear. As one of my english teachers loved to say, writing is a medium of communication, not a medium of arts ;) (He was refering more to illegible handwriting, but I guess it works for posts, too)
I never found your posts hard to read, so you probably have more structure in them than you think ;)

Im happy for your friend, too. I hope he's not disappointed now though, you can imagine and idealize a lot in 3 years, but people arent like that usually. Good luck anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.