Chicks in Metal

^Goddamit, calm down! I'm just saying it's good to see more chicks playing guitar these days becuz there aren't that many

Cris: Women can be just as good in driving! You don't have any proove.

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Respect 'em in any way?

Lacuna would be different without a chick singer. Sinergy with a guy singer wouldn't be Sinergy. AE without Angela, well I think she came at the right time and I don't look at her as the chick, but as the vocalist and that's it. I think she's that convincing.

Do you consciously/subconsciously approach listening to a metal band with a female singer from a different angle than one with a dude singer? Listen for more flaws? Are you more critical? Think- Who did she fuck somewhere down the line to convince these dudes to play for her?

I do. Always. I hate divas in metal, I hate it when they wreak of "I'm superior simply because of my vagina".

Being a chick who generally hates chicks in metal and has plans to become one in the end- I'm an oxymoron. And I'm a guitarist and vocalist. Which may make for more criticism.

I'd like some feedback no matter how stupid. What's good, what's bad, what makes a female in a metal band respectable and convincing when compared to her male peers, etc. I want to be held to the same par as every other musician. I hate hearing "She's good for a girl." "Wow a girl who shreds."

I know I'm gonna have to deal as I already do but any thoughts on provoking responses beyond that?

Mannn I like you. Female guitarist and vocalist. Are you planning to be growling or doing clean vox? In my opinion, growling vocals aren't too bad, i guess. But I'm very very picky about clean vocals.. sometimes i just don't think chicks belong in singing metal. For example, Tarja, I dont like. Same with Simmone of Epica, Lacuna Coil, Midnattsol, etc. The thing is, I adore vocals like Tristania's. Its just.. different. Same with Leaves' Eyes and some After Forever. Those are the only exceptions.. so I guess I didn't really help much, actually. I'm pretty bad about judging before I hear. I was force-played Tristania, and ended up loving it. Normally when someone mentions 'female fronted metal band' I deny it, instantly. So I dont know, in my opinion, go for it no matter what, which I don't doubt you will.

Mannn I like you. Female guitarist and vocalist. Are you planning to be growling or doing clean vox? In my opinion, growling vocals aren't too bad, i guess. But I'm very very picky about clean vocals.. sometimes i just don't think chicks belong in singing metal. For example, Tarja, I dont like. Same with Simmone of Epica, Lacuna Coil, Midnattsol, etc. The thing is, I adore vocals like Tristania's. Its just.. different. Same with Leaves' Eyes and some After Forever. Those are the only exceptions.. so I guess I didn't really help much, actually. I'm pretty bad about judging before I hear. I was force-played Tristania, and ended up loving it. Normally when someone mentions 'female fronted metal band' I deny it, instantly. So I dont know, in my opinion, go for it no matter what, which I don't doubt you will.

Finding my vocal "style" has been a battle but I think I've done it. Akerfeldt vocals. I can do both and those are the tones that I can actually make sound good. I know a lot of people hate Mike's vocals but whatever, they're my favorite band anyway. I suck at operatic vocals and I lack good natural high range, so as much as I hate that sound I can't even make fun of myself for being good at it. I can pull off the King Diamond/power metal falsettos but I don't think I wanna use them much. I've played with it but the Sinergy sound is overdone and predictable especially with girls, imo. I wanna do something completely fresh.