Chicks in Metal

Lady_Relic

Jan 22, 2007
Love 'em? Hate 'em? Respect 'em in any way?

Lacuna would be different without a chick singer. Sinergy with a guy singer wouldn't be Sinergy. AE without Angela, well I think she came at the right time and I don't look at her as the chick, but as the vocalist and that's it. I think she's that convincing.

Do you consciously/subconsciously approach listening to a metal band with a female singer from a different angle than one with a dude singer? Listen for more flaws? Are you more critical? Think- Who did she fuck somewhere down the line to convince these dudes to play for her?

I do. Always. I hate divas in metal, I hate it when they wreak of "I'm superior simply because of my vagina".

Being a chick who generally hates chicks in metal and has plans to become one in the end- I'm an oxymoron. And I'm a guitarist and vocalist. Which may make for more criticism.

I'd like some feedback no matter how stupid. What's good, what's bad, what makes a female in a metal band respectable and convincing when compared to her male peers, etc. I want to be held to the same par as every other musician. I hate hearing "She's good for a girl." "Wow a girl who shreds."

I know I'm gonna have to deal as I already do but any thoughts on provoking responses beyond that?

i really only look for flaws in metal with women vocalists when they sing kind of simone of epica and tarja. other than that, dosent matter much. as long as the music is good. and when i notice a female drummer in metal, im quite shocked myself.

I listen to maaany bands, which chicks play or sing in. And honestly I don't care as long as the band rocks. But I love bands with vocals like Arch Enemy's Angela and Decadence's Kitty :heh:

There are always going to be aload of people judging chicks in metal just because they are chicks, most people seem to associate them with the Operatic vocals, corsets and long lacey dresses a la Tarja Turunen or Vibeke Sten. Unless you have a particular image I imagine you wouldn't get jugded like that (either automatically against or automatically for). For example Angela Gossow, she seems to commanad as much respect as any vocalist. At the end of the day, if you sound good the people that matter will listen.

Chicks have always dreamt to make a successful, aggressive, loud metal band, but they never have achieved that .. as for me, i'm working out with my buddies to make one, but of course the vocalist, drummer are male :)

But i totally respect and support a female metal band who can actually kickass, which we still haven't found, yet. Of course this is my opinion :rolleyes:

okay being serious now, some i like and some i don't, just like with the guys. it's good to see women in metal, especially fronting a band and not trying to sound all feminist here though haha.

it just depends on how they sound to me. i don't like otep but i like sinergy. kim has a very strong voice and stfu vik don't call me kim :lol: *kicks you* :p

as long the chicks are naked

I knew you or Gon would come to save the day! :lol: Sucks though, my bust seriously gets in the way of playing sometimes. I know, I know. Why do I need to play when I'm naked? Good point.

Chicks have always dreamt to make a successful, aggressive, loud metal band, but they never have achieved that .. as for me, i'm working out with my buddies to make one, but of course the vocalist, drummer are male :)

But i totally respect and support a female metal band who can actually kickass, which we still haven't found, yet. Of course this is my opinion :rolleyes:

What do you play?

imo i don't think girls in metal should be looked at or treated anymore differently to men in metal, we can be just as good or even better and shouldn't be looked upon as 'weak' in this genre of metal. women in metal aren't something special to me, it's just the same as any other person in metal. the only difference is that we have tits.

i agree with the thing that someone said earlier, about what shadowdancer said. "At the end of the day, if you sound good the people that matter will listen."