Children of Bodom is Power Metal

Ex-cally-boo said:
Sorry but you are wrong. Infact, I'm not sorry so you are just wrong.

:lol:

Since your screen-name is derived from a Grave Digger song I will use them as an example. They used to just be a classic/speed metal band. It wasn't until later releases like Tunes of War, Excalibur, etc., that they started developing the epic choruses that are characteristic of power metal and thus why people now classify them as such. Without those vocal arrangements they would still just a be heavy/speed (arguably thrash) metal band.

DemonHelm, shut up, you don't know what you're talking about. Grave Digger leans more toward Speed (a lot more) than Power, until recently anyway.

Children Of Bodom is Power Metal with mild Speed influences (at least they used to be, now I've heard they have Industrial influences) with harsh vocals because it's a trend and a retard's aesthetic. Anybody who disagrees with me is just wrong.

Dodens Grav said:
DemonHelm, shut up, you don't know what you're talking about. Grave Digger leans more toward Speed (a lot more) than Power, until recently anyway.

Children Of Bodom is Power Metal with mild Speed influences (at least they used to be, now I've heard they have Industrial influences) with harsh vocals because it's a trend and a retard's aesthetic. Anybody who disagrees with me is just wrong.

Uhh, I agree that Grave Digger is more speed. Ex-cally and many others classify them as power and the only reason is the vocal arrangments.

Still disagree about CoB though.

I've always refered to them as Speed/Power, though I do go recommending them in power metal topics because I fucking can.

Which wouldn't mean shit anyways, as Melo-death (in refering to Gothenfuck) is a subgenre of power metal.

Ex-cally-boo said:
I've always refered to them as Speed/Power, though I do go recommending them in power metal topics because I fucking can.

Cool. But is it not the vocal arrangments that allow them to be classified as such? Otherwise they are just classic/speed.

Bands like Iced Earth, Persuader, and Blind Guardian would never have been labeled power without the vocal arrangements.

DemonHelm said:
They used to just be a classic/speed metal band. It wasn't until later releases like Tunes of War, Excalibur, etc., that they started developing the epic choruses that are characteristic of power metal and thus why people now classify them as such.

Dodens Grav said:
Grave Digger leans more toward Speed (a lot more) than Power, until recently anyway.

:confused:

Ex-cally-boo said:
Which wouldn't mean shit anyways, as Melo-death (in refering to Gothenfuck) is a subgenre of power metal.

Melodeth is angry Iron Maiden fans with detuned guitars and a singer with a cold.

DemonHelm said:
Cool. But is it not the vocal arrangments that allow them to be classified as such? Otherwise they are just classic/speed.

Bands like Iced Earth, Persuader, and Blind Guardian would never have been labeled power without the vocal arrangements.

You're fucking nuts. It's about the music, not the vocals. Vocals usually conform to a genre's norm, but it's musically based.

Vocals can be considered a characteristic of a genre, but never a defining factor. For example a lot of death metal bands use growls, but the use of growls does not make a band death metal. If I do a carbon copy of Kelly Clarkston's latest hit only I growl instead of sing that doesn't make the song death metal.

Genre's are defined by the music, the problem is that a lot of people who are unable to distinguish properly just lump things into genre's based on the vocals.

I can't comment on bodom, because i never really listened to them.

Ex-cally-boo said:

What in the fuck are you talking about. It's called Melodic DEATH metal for a reason knucklenuts. Everything you have stated in this thread has been so insanely wrong I want to fucking murder you.

Dodens Grav said:

The only time vocals affect what genre a band falls into, is when there are already other characteristics that lean that way as well. Children of Bodom is fundamentally Power, you can put any kind of vocals out front and it won't change that fact. If you want to be pedantic about labelling your music then follow Dodens example.

Amarantus said:
What in the fuck are you talking about. It's called Melodic DEATH metal for a reason knucklenuts. Everything you have stated in this thread has been so insanely wrong I want to fucking murder you.

Except if you actually LISTEN to Melo-death ala Gothenfuck you'd hear VERY LITTLE TO ZERO death metal influence, and MUCH more power metal influence.

Fuck off you little worm.

Dodens Grav said:

Yes.

Flossy said:
Melo-death (in refering to Gothenfuck) is a subgenre of power metal.

Only, being a sub-genre of metal music in reality, it cannot logically be a sub-subgenre of an established genre with an established sound.

I do agree with most of what you're saying, David (as I pretty much generally do, by the way), but to say it's a "subgenre" of power metal is farcical.

Ex-cally-boo said:
Except if you actually LISTEN to Melo-death ala Gothenfuck you'd hear VERY LITTLE TO ZERO death metal influence, and MUCH more power metal influence.

Fuck off you little worm.

Yeah I completely forgot that melodic death metal directly stemmed from death metal and not power metal. Stupid me!

Melodic Death Metal is bands like Arghoslent.

Melodeath, which is not Death Metal in any sense, is bands like In Flames. They merely have harsh vocals and an occasional blast beat instead of Death Metal composition. It's Iron Maiden with a screeching cat on vocals.

Dodens Grav said:
You're fucking nuts. It's about the music, not the vocals. Vocals usually conform to a genre's norm, but it's musically based.

I don't claim to be an expert on genres and I think you may have a valid argument. I am not trying to butt heads here but what makes Grave Digger's later works accepted as power metal? Instrumentally they don't sound to me like they have changed much.