Church Organ

Well, I don't derive much pleasure from censoring people... you can generally say what you want on here, as long as you're not an ass about it, despite whether some comments questionable at best, or simply downright idiotic.

Its about the 5th thread on this subject, its not achiving anything, and is negative as hell. And this place doesnt need people accusing Opeth of selling out thats underground bigotory that really isnt needed in this place, Opeth fans get a bad rep on other boards as it is, people dont need to read this shit.

Uriah Heep used organ during some some heavy classic rock tunes. (Heavy at the time). Check out a song called Gipsy to see what I mean. Hammond Organs rule. And so do mellotrons.

boo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bbooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooo......wait till' the new album. omg omg This is probably the biggest thing since the dreading wait for Y2K. ::grabs pillow and bites::

I think the album is gonna be pretty damn good, 9 songs doesn't mean short songs really, it could just be a long album considering how long they have been in the studio, think about it. plus a couple of tracks could just be an intro / outro deal.

sweet majestic darkness said:
Well, it's better to be looking down to begin with I suppose. Then when the album comes out it will kick your as even harder. Iam looking forward to this album and have no negative feelings about it. I have enjoyed listening to every album that Opeth has released, and I'm sure they aren't going to dissapoint me on this one.

A very good point.

All this is subjective anyway, what to some is progression is selling out to another...

I heard people comment on them selling out on the release of Morningrise, specifically people had a problem with To Bid You Farewell (still my personal favourite song), then with the label change from a true underground independent to a longer established and better distributed one more people screamed sell out...

If half of you people had heard of Opeth before you had, you would probably have accused them of selling out time and again already.

None of us know for sure what is going to be on the CD, but I for one have loved each and every release so far. They are not all the same and I love some of them for different reasons. I expect to be similarly impressed with the new album as well.

I know there is not a lot Opethian to discuss at the moment, but don't you lot realise how purile you sound from your seats of judgement?

Didn't Mike say on Lamentations that he wants the eighth album to border black metal? Does anyone here really think that black metal can be mainstream?

saut said:
I don't think Opeth could possibly "sell out." I really don't think it's possible, unless we see a huge departure from albums past

*ahem* Damnation - their first nonmetal album and self admitted by Mike that he wanted to gain a bigger fanbase.

Jinn said:
Yes.

Reference Cradle of Filth.
Also Dimmu Borgir. They're pretty damn big in America. In fact, the "clean" version of DCA is being sold in Walmart for crying out loud. And people are really buying them.

Furthermore, Opeth said - and I remember this - that there would be two 30 minute long opuses... now they say 9 tracks, BUT this could just mean that they're pulling like, a crimson2 and splitting their long tracks into like 4 parts with an intro or something. A guy can dream, a guy can dream...

But WOAH dudes.. When I say sell out, I mean it in a good way.... sort of. There is only so much selling out Opeth can do. They won't hop around "I love mah woman, and my truck broke down" while playing Nickelback riffs and wearing makeup. But the major change to Roadrunner, and the addition of Keyboard Player... the organs, mellotrons... its a big change for what would arguably make the music more catchy, thus adding to the fan base - thus more "selling out"...

And wtf dood I said church organ like a year and a half ago heh.

Uhhh... and?

Opeth didn't say they were re-recording MAYH did they? I thought I heard Mike say an occult work with two 30 minute long opuses...

Jinn said:
*ahem* Damnation - their first nonmetal album and self admitted by Mike that he wanted to gain a bigger fanbase.

Show me where Mike said that. I've always heard that ever since the early days of Opeth there had been talk of an all mellow album. And from watching the Lamentations documentary, it seems like it's something Opeth wanted to do, not necessarily to gain a bigger fanbase (which isn't a bad thing anyway).

All the stuff Mike has said in the past, in interviews and in the Lamentations DVD were just ideas to get people talking. Maybe perhaps this album is another concept album, or maybe it is one long song or two song songs constituting the 9 tracks. Maybe they have gone a more blackened/death direction. Who knows...all of what Mike has said were just ideas and nothing official. Wait for the new album. It's gonna be goooood.

Actually I bet you Mike will use more of those powerchord chords that use 6 strings like he has used on every single other Opeth CD (except for orchid and morningrise) For example, see the beggining of April Ehtereal.

I can predict that there will be growling from Steven Wilson just like he's done on the last 7 albums.