Classic Heavy Metal

Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
I'm on track 3 right now, and this is bloody BRILLIANT!

Thedevilyouknow-Large_(Actual_Art_Work).jpg

Iommi still has it. :headbang:

I can't wait until this album drops

Pick up A Time Of Changes if you're wondering if Blitzkrieg is anything more than that Metallica-cover, it's one of the top NWOBHM-albums of all time.
12878.jpg

I would put Iced Earth in this category.

Me too.

And speaking of Iced Earth, I got Night of the Stormrider, and after a few listens I started liking it. But I could not get into any of their other stuff, and I have listened to a few of them. Well one day I went to put on Something Wicked this Way Comes and it was like, all of a sudden, it was very familiar to me and I liked it. That was an odd experience.

Now I am more encouraged to go deeper into their discography.

Me too.

And speaking of Iced Earth, I got Night of the Stormrider, and after a few listens I started liking it. But I could not get into any of their other stuff, and I have listened to a few of them. Well one day I went to put on Something Wicked this Way Comes and it was like, all of a sudden, it was very familiar to me and I liked it. That was an odd experience.

Now I am more encouraged to go deeper into their discography.

Horror Show sir, the Glorious Burden is also good. As whole albums I am not a big fan of "The Dark Saga" or "Burnt Offerings" like most of the other people here who like IE.

Alive in Athens really is a great live performance though and gives a good overview of their stuff up to that time.

I had The Glorious Burden and it annoyed the crap out of me. Not saying a re-evaluation isn't in order, but my impression now is that if I get it again it will have to end up being that I fell so in love with the rest of Iced Earth's catalog that I couldn't help it.

Well granted it isn't Barlow on that one. Horror Show and Night of the Storm Rider are their two best. I like Something Wicked but it is apparently too "pop-ish".

I like Stormwitch. I think I've heard all their albums. I do find they aren't the most consistent band though.

OCI, could you post that list of must-listen Running Wild songs again itt?

Yeah..well, I can post some ones that are the most relevant to the thread topic, since they've always been a crossbreed of trad/speed/power.

And I've already posted like 8 songs already so sorry for the spam if anyone feels flooded. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
They maybe don't 100% fit the bill but people need to hear these songs:

THIS ONE WINS:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-AVAm257f0"]http://www.youtube.com/[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the song Medieval Steel by the band of the same name, that's definitely Heavy Metal. No other genre would fit.

i rather like that one too. you heard warlord?

There was a Swedish band called Heavy Load and I managed to get their two albums; good stuff.

they have three, which ones do you have? they're all damn good anyway, though they never really reached greatness. i tend to like the oddball debut the most.

Cirith Ungol are great too, they don't get mentioned here much.

'king of the dead' is one of the best metal albums ever, any kind.

just the best of the lot, for me - at least at its peaks.

Pick up A Time Of Changes if you're wondering if Blitzkrieg is anything more than that Metallica-cover, it's one of the top NWOBHM-albums of all time.
12878.jpg

absolutely magical album and better than anything metallica ever did. don't forget satan's 'court in the act' while we're at it, arguably just as good (and with the best song out of the whole NWOBHM imo).

Well one day I went to put on Something Wicked this Way Comes and it was like, all of a sudden, it was very familiar to me and I liked it.

it's familiarity is probably something to do with it not containing a single original riff. i don't mind stormrider/burnt offerings though.

stormwitch i need to further explore, i'm only really familiar with the debut which is decent.

i always liked rage's 'perfect man' (your coffin has no pockets!) but didn't get into any of the other stuff i've heard. plenty yet to hear though.

liege lord and chastain are both cool shit, i haven't really gotten into budgie that much so far. or running wild, but i need to give GTP more spins.

fifth angel i've been meaning to check out. rather not listen to youtubes though.