Contrasting Harmonies

Minion520

Minion
Jan 29, 2004
Bergen County, N.J.
For my Core Perspectives course in college, I have to bring in two songs with contrasting harmonies, I definetely want to use Opeth, but I'm not quite sure about what two songs I should use, any suggestions??

Opeth use (a bit) of counterpoint on nearly all their albums. But i'd suggest to use "Gentle Giant". They're known for their good use of counterpoint.

Is counterpoint two different melodies with different timings and notes played together?!? Then Morningrise and Orchid would be the way to go.

Yeah, really anything from the two dual-harmony albums (where it's used the entire album). I'd say "Forest of October" is another good pick... that intro is amazing.

I think that riff in twilight is pretty good.. like a min or two in the song. Moonlapse recorded it not that long ago i believe. I would suggest orchid material than any other, dotf being an exception. you might freak out the people listening if you play it though hehehe.

From what you are asking I take it you want
two melodies that are completely different played
over each other and which harmonize.
Like one ascending and one descending melody that
harmonize when played together.
Kinda like {row row row your boat} while some are singing
one fourth of the song and others are singing the other three parts.
Or {Silly Love Songs} by Wings at the end of the song.
As opposed to contrapuntal which is mostly rythmic in nature.

Here are a few off of BWP.
Leper Affinity at 3:09 and 4:32..
Or the 6 minute mark of Drapery Falls.
I am sure your instructor would like you to bring
in some Shoenberg or Stravinsky.

Thank you all I shall use your suggestions. I am open to more though so keep them coming. My instructor was actually interested in Opeth becuase of the way i described them, however, I doubt she or the rest of the class would be entertained past the initial minute or so of any Opeth song, that is why i'm leaning toward something more moderate and accesible over something from Orchid.

Music is music. Don't succumb to their closed-mindedness. Use Opeth if that's what you like. Unless, of course, if everyone else is using classical music. ;)

I was also thinking of using and Opeth song, then using a Devin Townsend song, who is one of my all time favorite musicians, i beleive he is a genius. They are both beautiful in their own elements, and have completely different sounds.

counterpoint= 1 or more contrasting, MELODIES.

It's not harmony...harmony is different. I'm being a nitpicking asshole, because that's what I am. Harmony is the structure of music with respect to the composition and progression of chords.

He's not asking for counterpoint. Any fuckin song with a chord progression would work. YOu don't need any of the twin guitar stuff of Orchid or Morningrise.

just reminded me of that part in leper affinity right after the solo.. where the two parts are exactly the same but one goes up and one down... that part is badass. short, but i would use that.

suislidE said:
just reminded me of that part in leper affinity right after the solo.. where the two parts are exactly the same but one goes up and one down... that part is badass. short, but i would use that.

Those two parts aren't the same.

The point still stands though.