Controversial opinions on metal

Controversial opinion: When it comes to thrash, the classics are literally all you need imo.
I find a lot more non-classic black metal that's substantially less interesting than a lot of non-classic thrash metal. It also helps to know what thrash metal albums you define as classic.

im pretty sure they've only heard a handful of modern thrash albums at most anyway, so what they say here doesn't mean much. If they legitimately listened to a lot of modern thrash and came to that conclusion, i would actually respect their opinion. The butt doesn't know shit about thrash and rms has heard probably 4-5 modern thrash albums at most

At least you're guaranteed riffs whereas with black metal, it's a gamble as to whether you're going to get some actual composition (Wampyrinacht) or masturbatory atmospherics that ultimately go nowhere (Mgla).

I agree. I don't exactly enjoy the infinite permutations of black metal there are, but there's no denying that the spectrum between someone like Ildjarn and shit like Liturgy (not that i'm championing them or anything) is much greater than Metallica to Vektor. Honestly I view modern Thrash metal much like I like I view Punk. The formula is timeless enough that it doesn't need to be tweaked too much to still deliver. Griping that either hasn't changed much over the years misses the point entirely. However, claiming that thrash has more "breadth" is patently absurd.

edit: I could be conflating "breadth" with diversity of sound. If so, my bad. Most of my favorite bands straddle the line between BM and thrash anyway. Like I don't think Hellhammer was calling themselves BM nor were Sodom.

Last edited:
Thrash Metal ranges from sloppy to technical and that's about it.
And where exactly does black metal fall in that range? Exclusively the sloppy" side? Most black metal musicians sound like amateurs as far as the instrumentation goes tbh. And that definitely cannot be said for thrash, death, trad etc.

most thrash(modern or old school) musicians will play circles around black metal musicians, that is just a plain fact

And where exactly does black metal fall in that range? Exclusively the sloppy" side? Most black metal musicians sound like amateurs as far as the instrumentation goes tbh. And that definitely cannot be said for thrash, death, trad etc.

most thrash musicians will play circles around black metal musicians, that is just a plain fact

I mean this is a gross generalize on both of our parts. I would agree that the baseline Thrash musician could play circles around the baseline BM player, but that's a null point to me regardless. I can confidently say the dudes in Deathspell Omega could practically anything you threw their way. Either way, I'm talking more so from a purely aesthetic standpoint. Black metal has been decidedly repurposed to suit a lot more ideas than thrash has ever done.

I can confidently say the dudes in Deathspell Omega could practically anything you threw their way. Either way, I'm talking more so from a purely aesthetic standpoint. Black metal has been decidedly repurposed to suit a lot more ideas than thrash has ever done.

I disagree with everything here, especially the bolded. But Deathspell Omega rules :kickass:

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
I listened to that power Trip album in the 2017 thread and that warbringer and reminded myself why thrash is probably the worst sub genre today.

I listened to that power Trip album in the 2017 thread and that warbringer and reminded myself why thrash is probably the worst sub genre today.
Bestial Invasion, Vexovoid, Droid and Condor all released better albums this year so all you're doing is taking mediocre thrash metal albums and making them representative of the whole subgenre's output for this year.

Reactions: CiG
power trip is indeed medicore thrash. literally the definiton of it.

But Woe to the Vanquished being mediocre? lmfao. Anyone with that opinion needs to turn in their thrash card in and leave the room. And no ozz, you never had a thrash card to being with.