Controversial opinions on metal

From my understanding, wasn't it the digital age that really propelled their popularity? I'm sure they cultivated some cult appeal the regular ole homegrown way, but it wasn't really far reaching enough to be influential in the underground at the level of Bathory or Sepultura.

Exactly. Bands that were actually influential during the 1980s are way more influential than Manilla Road. Mark Shelton even said that people didn't even like Crystal Logic that much compared to the albums that came after it until the 2000s when it became a cult hit because of word of mouth on metal forums.

Omni is slowly denouncing the in-crowd

QbJ5_f-maxage-0.gif

...by posting opinions that I've had for years that some other prominent in-crowders agree with?

And yet they play to crowds of 10 people or less. Yep, super important and influential.

Manilla Road still headlines big metal festivals to this day, even though rms is blinded by fanboy goggles. They are overrated though.

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
it's not good even in the slightest and is one of the worst albums i have in my 1000+ collection. Also, im pretty sure ive heard it more than you have(so i'd say my opinion on it is far more valuable than some stinking blinded manowar fanboy). But let me guess, you "found" your copy yesterday? :lol:

You're a delusional buffoon.

They are overrated though.

In what context? GMD?

Because they weren't very influential I agree, I think they're actually an underrated band.

At least a third of Battle Cry is pretty redundant.
Battle Cry has no fillers, sorry.

Oh and I might have to apologize to that new guy

@DisconnectedFromReality about Louder Than Hell.
While not close to being their best, it's actually pretty cool. I'm enjoying listening to it and haven't wanted to skip one song yet.

What songs do you enjoy most? Personally King, The Gods Made Heavy Metal, Number 1 and Outlaw I sing by heart all the time.

Reactions: CiG
Be My Wench and Prince of Darkness are on a level below the others. Maybe the former has a place as a more straight-forward speed metal song in contrast to the eight songs that are not, but the latter has nothing new to offer.
Wrong, Prince of Darkness is a great song on that album. It's great, you just don't know his name. You don't know who to blame, he is the father of death to us all.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Warlord was pretty disappointing to me. I waited nearly a decade before listening to them so maybe my expectations were too high but half their stuff just sounds like slightly epic hair metal. And not ballsy hair metal, it's like somewhere between TNT's softer material and White Lion.

What songs do you enjoy most? Personally King, The Gods Made Heavy Metal, Number 1 and Outlaw I sing by heart all the time.

I really liked the opening trilogy of: "Return of the Warlord," "Brothers of Metal Pt. 1" and "The Gods Made Heavy Metal."

"Courage" was really epic and soaring in only the way Manowar can write a cheesy ballad, that went over really well with me and other than those 4 I also really liked "King."

It really falls apart at the end though, putting a 2 minute instrumental song right after a 10 minute instrumental song is low metal IQ in the extreme and "Power" isn't a good enough closer to make up for such a ridiculous blunder.

Deliver Us > Manilla Road btw.

lol.

Manilla Road > The Holy Empire > And the Cannons of Destruction > Deliver Us

The Holy Empire is crap. Talk about a top-heavy album. The 9/11 song is one of the worst things I've heard released this decade.

It really falls apart at the end though, putting a 2 minute instrumental song right after a 10 minute instrumental song is low metal IQ in the extreme and "Power" isn't a good enough closer to make up for such a ridiculous blunder.

Agree on that, I pretend Today Is A Good Day To Die is just A Fine Day to Die. I like the 2 minute instrumental though. How about Outlaw, King and Number 1 though?

The Holy Empire is crap. Talk about a top-heavy album. The 9/11 song is one of the worst things I've heard released this decade.

It rules, weeaboo cum-catcher.

I like the 2 minute instrumental though.

I don't mind an instrumental, Manowar usually do cool ones, but right after a 10 minute instrumental is just stupid and cocky.

How about Outlaw, King and Number 1 though?

They were okay, run-of-the-mill Manowar songs imo.

Manowar usually do cool ones, but right after a 10 minute instrumental is just stupid and cocky.

Yeah its totally garbage and stains the album. Definitely not a 10/10 or 9/10 album for me, but I think my enjoyment of it doesn't mean I hold it in highest regard hence why I put it in my top 10 [although arguably Triumph of Steel could have taken that spot]

Ranking it as their best is weird tho.

You probably think I'm a bit like an airplane. You think I'm an airplane don't you Vilden?

Yeah its totally garbage and stains the album. Definitely not a 10/10 or 9/10 album for me, but I think my enjoyment of it doesn't mean I hold it in highest regard hence why I put it in my top 10 [although arguably Triumph of Steel could have taken that spot]

It's a flawed but good album, for sure. Glad I re-listened to it, this forum tends to dismiss Manowar albums out of hand if it's not one of the few universally loved albums.