Controversial opinions on metal

Beyond the Wandering Moon is basically strum-a-strum indie shit in black metal clothing. Horrible album.

Beyond the Wandering Moon is basically for these types of dudes ....

5HWQ5W2.jpg

i’d understand if you were talking about shit like ulver/panopticon/agalloch/etc, but aeternus are derived from folk and epic heavy metal, nothing indie about it

i’d understand if you were talking about shit like ulver/panopticon/agalloch/etc, but aeternus are derived from folk and epic heavy metal, nothing indie about it
You can't possibly mix Ulver's trilogie with utter shit like Panopticon, Agalloch and other lame acts that basically lacked balls to play black metal. Ulver at least always had the riffs, Garm's vocals and Nattens Madrigal is as raw and blazing as it gets.

ahh now i understand your confusion, you think elliott smith invented folk music

I don't think about Elliot Smith. Are you implying that Aeternus passes as a legitimate revival of Scandinavian folk music or something? Aeternus' riffs are bottom-barrel indie-shitter strumming. It's not even a metal album, it's muzak.

You can't possibly mix Ulver's trilogie with utter shit like Panopticon, Agalloch and other lame acts that basically lacked balls to play black metal. Ulver at least always had the riffs, Garm's vocals and Nattens Madrigal is as raw and blazing as it gets.

i was thinking more of bergtatt, an album i like quite a bit (and way more than any agalloch or panopticon) but would definitely consider indie-fied, and probably the single biggest influence on all the lame navel-gazing atmo- offshoots to follow. i mean, it opens with a fucking my bloody valentine riff lol

i was thinking more of bergtatt, an album i like quite a bit (and way more than any agalloch or panopticon) but would definitely consider indie-fied, and probably the single biggest influence on all the lame navel-gazing atmo- offshoots to follow. i mean, it opens with a fucking my bloody valentine riff lol
Bergtatt has plenty of good black metal on it. The folk elements were well integrated and, given the Scandinavian old tale style of the lyrics, it makes all the sense to add instruments like flutes and baroque styled guitar pieces. It's folk/classical Scandinavian songwriting, not indie shit. Burzum used similar chord progressions until Fallen, Kampfar and Windir did it too and you can tell that those bands actually sound "Norse". Even Satyricon did it until Nemesis Divina.

If you wanna blame someone of using lame indie shit to make lame black metal, Agalloch is the n°1 band on doing that.