Death Metal band with the best overall discography?

Death Metal band with the best overall discography?

• Bolt Thrower

• Obituary

• Death

• Malevolent Creation

• Cannibal Corpse

• Nile

• The Chasm

• Incantation

• Immolation

• Morbid Angel

Results are only viewable after voting.

One of the coolest things in the world to 10 year old me.

I wasn't aware, and it looks like the nearest show is over an hour away. Didn't the singer pass a way a few years back? Looks like it just the original guitar player and bunch of hired guns, nearly a cover band at this point.

Over an hour away :lol: The nearest show to me is four and a half hours away which is typical for this area. I'm thinking about going. Phil has kind of always been the one consistent member so while it would be cool if others could be there (R.I.P. Brett Hoffman), it would still be cool to see Retribution in full.

I'm currently much more enamored with the rest of Obituary's discography than I am of Malevolent Creation. The Jay Black era is kind of meh and the stuff from when Brett first came back sounds so thin and thrash-oriented. The Will to Kill sounds like the first album after Stillborn that I might really enjoy.

I'm pretty much digging all the Obituary stuff. World Demise is OK thus far, Back From the Dead rules, Frozen in time is pretty good,
Xecutioner's Return rules, just now listening to Inked in Blood and it sounds promising, and the S/T sounds pretty good so far.

Reactions: zerostatic
ABQ was one of my regions with my previous employer. Shit city. Shit food.

But yeah, I did drive by Walter White's house. The owners at the time, a crotchety old couple sitting outside, had placed a chainlink fence around it.

Reactions: CiG
My distant runner up in 2nd place would probably end up being Entombed or Grave, but I'd have to hear their full discographies first. I have been inclined to hear all of Morbid Angel's albums so I threw them a vote in the poll on that basis just to see the results.
After doing a bunch of listening, I'll definitely give the silver medal to Entombed here. Their first 3 are animalistic. Inferno stands out to me too and deserves a better rating on RYM. DCLXVI and Same Difference aren't really my thing, but they still seem like fine albums for the style they were going for in each case.

Grave made quite a clunker with Hating Life. If they were aiming to make the dollar store version of Chaos A.D. they succeeded. Everything they've done since is, well, good I suppose, but way too unvarying for me.

Other than MA, I've only heard full albums from Immolation and Death out of the poll list. Immolation gets a bit samey too and I forgot I'd even heard 5 albums from them, but I'll take them over Grave. Haven't given much time to Death but I'll revisit them eventually.

This has been a really great exercise. Obituary is now a very strong contender for me and has grown to be a favorite DM band. Aside from the first three, I really like some of the albums that are not that widely regarded like Back From the Dead and Xecutioner's Return. I also really enjoy Inked in Blood. Obituary does not have a bad album. The one I've actually had a harder time getting into is World Demise (and I haven't listened to Darkest Day much).

I've also worked through all the stuff Chris Barnes has been involved in. I've always been an unabashed SFU fan regardless of what anyone says (it's mostly just trendfagging anyway). I really enjoy the first three, Commandment, and Unborn (as well as the Unburied sessions). True Carnage, Undead, and 13 are also pretty good (I'm kind of surprised by how much I'm enjoying TC but the vocal performance is brutal). The Torture Killer album with Barnes on vocals is also excellent and comparable to Unborn (on which TK guitarist Jari Laine wrote some songs).

The first 4 Cannibal Corpse albums are, indeed, classic. Butchered at Birth and The Bleeding are the top two for me. BaB really took me by surprise with what a great album it is. So brutal and full of groove at the same time. I used to be a big Suffocation fan, but I think BaB did the brutal/groove formula better than Effigy. I'm listening to some of the Fisher albums and what I've heard is good but not near the level of the Barnes era. I'll probably work through the rest of their discography at some point.

So, as of now, I've gone through the discographies of Bolt Thrower, Malevolent Creation, Obituary, and Six Feet Under in some detail and gotten a good start on CC's.

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG