Most talented modern black metal band . . .

Most talented modern black metal band . . .

• Funeral Mist

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Watain

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Deathspell Omega

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Of course I'd like to give the award to Blut Aus Nord, but since they're starting to move beyond a simple black metal classification, I'll throw these other options at you. I simply couldn't list a band that is using excessive triggers or constant drum machines. The three bands listed are also all very "organic" sounding to me. I like how they rely on their overall sound and style to create a song and atmosphere, rather than just trying to be "grim" or "evil" or "whatever".

Feel free to list other bands that fit that description, because I'm looking for them.

Also feel free to list the modern BM band thay you think is the most talented.

EDIT: I'm talking about BLACK METAL, not viking metal.

BTW, poll coming.

i'd say deathspell omega is the most TALENTED because what they're doing is original and, well, TRUE, in the real definition of the word. but i prefer to listen to watain most of the time

Erik said:
i'd say deathspell omega is the most TALENTED because what they're doing is original and, well, TRUE, in the real definition of the word. but i prefer to listen to watain most of the time

So what other bands have that "organic" feel that I'm talking about? 'Kenose's' production is just awesome. I love the whole feel they put to the music. Same with Watain and even Funeral Mist.

Erik said:
haha. funeral mist's production is the god damn ANTITHESIS of organic.

Sort of. But I can actually tell what they're doing with guitars, drums, etc. But I understand your point. They didn't fit the description as much as the other two bands.:lol:

Ellestin said:
Deathspell Omega is the obvious answer but I'm puzzled by the term "modern" black metal.

A band that is currently releasing material. I guess I'm also referring to bands that haven't been around forever, because they'd be too obvious (i.e. Bathory, Darkthrone, Enslaved, etc.).

The abovementioned bands' labels mates, Malign and Ofermod, would probably appeal to you.

Personally I like Arckanum a lot, though he's been around for quite some time, and perhaps does not qualify as modern in this meaning of the word. Anyway the Arckanum songs on the split with Svartsyn slays and I would be surprised if you disliked them. Those tracks are somewhat different from the older stuff though, which perhaps should be kept in mind in case you're lucky enough to stumble upon any of his previous material on CD.

Nate The Great said:
*Do me a favor and turn your speakers up on this one and listen to that scream. My balls hide inside my body for a minute or two after I hear that.

Sorry, no testicular retraction. This is pretty good stuff, though I'm not much in the mood for it right now.

Edit: Okay, I liked that second track a good bit better. Maybe I'm in the mood for this afterall.

Thanatopsis123 said:
Sorry, no testicular retraction. This is pretty good stuff, though I'm not much in the mood for it right now.

Edit: Okay, I liked that second track a good bit better. Maybe I'm in the mood for this afterall.

The second track represents the entire 'Salvation' album pretty well.

DsO by a mile (and to be honest, I'm only truly sold on Si Monumentum...). Kenose is not an "easy listen" by any means. I've heard it once and there's obviously A LOT to take in.

I just haven't had time to explore more DsO. From what I understand, they themselves try to remain anonymous.