Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Mystic Forest - Romances

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Ellestin

one-click buy
Sep 4, 2003
www.convivialhermit.net
As everyone should know, France owns one of the most tasteful and creative BM scenes these days, regardless whether 90% of the globe are persuaded that Blut aus Nord are German and Deathspell Omega Norwegian...

Pick your favourite release among this short selection and feel free to discuss how it comes the terms "French" and "metal" seem so antagonist to the rest of the world, if you have any opinion about it...

Though I haven't heard many of those, I doubt that any get near DSO's behemoth Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice.

Nehemah is one I'd very much like to hear though. What about Anorexia Nervosa, aren't they boring Dimmu clones?

Belenos for now... Also where is Mütiilation or any other Black Legions bands? "Vampires of Black Imperial Blood" is pretty amazing.

Deathspell Omega. It's like haunting black metal in an old medieval chapel.

If you had listed Himinbjorg's "Haunted Shores", however, I would have picked that.

French BM is the winner.

Favourite from this poll: Requiem Tenebrae.
Overall: Requiem Tenebrae or Vampires of Black Imperial Blood.
And Si Monumentum close second/third.

For Himinbjörg, In The Raven's Shadow is definitely my favourite.

Blut Aus Nord. No criticism will be accepted until you hear Memoria Vetusta I : Fathers of the Icy Age .

My favorite is probably Hirilorn. Great experimentation with leads and some really strong melodies, though somewhat simplistic songwriting. I haven't been able to find a copy of "Legends of Evil and Eternal Death" yet, but the mp3's I've heard are most excelent, and I've got the Merrimack split tape and the live 12", which both rule immensely.

Definately Deathspell Omega. The evil atmosphere of "Si Momentvm..." is is just up there is with "Transilvanian Hunger" and its likes.

I'd also like to second what's said about Hirilorn. I haven't been able to find "Legends..." either, but I saw their split with Nasav on Red Stream.

The poll was just an alibi to get the thread running, now it's great that all of you are mentioning bands I hadn't thought of in the first place or discarded because I wanted to narrow it down to 10 albums. Just another evidence of this scene's fitness.

JayKeeley said:
If you had listed Himinbjorg's "Haunted Shores", however, I would have picked that.

I still have to hear this. Is it better than In The Raven's Shadow? 'Cuz that album kicks all kinds of ass.

I picked Belenos, which I prefer Orrances Oni-w/e.

Most of those rule except for Anorexia Nervosa and another which I forget but can;t see it as I type this out so fuck it.

Doomcifer said:
I still have to hear this. Is it better than In The Raven's Shadow? 'Cuz that album kicks all kinds of ass.

"Haunted Shores" shows a different Himinbjorg, more floating and abstract, with some old-school heavy metal solo you won't find anywhere else on their albums.
I still think "Where Ravens Fly" is their strongest, but "Europa" is definitely a contender for the throne, a few more listens will define whether it holds to the challenge.

pirate_jpg.jpg

Demilich said:
ARRR! My Aes Dana cd showed up today!