Most talented modern black metal band . . .

Most talented modern black metal band . . .

• Funeral Mist

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Watain

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Deathspell Omega

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
JayKeeley said:
DsO by a mile (and to be honest, I'm only truly sold on Si Monumentum...). Kenose is not an "easy listen" by any means. I've heard it once and there's obviously A LOT to take in.

I just haven't had time to explore more DsO. From what I understand, they themselves try to remain anonymous.

Odd, I thought Kenose was by far the easier listen. And I really need to get my hands on those Infernal Battles and Inquisitors of Satan CD re-issues.

Thanatopsis123 said:
Odd, I thought Kenose was by far the easier listen.

Perhaps on song length, then yes. As I mentioned in the DsO thread a while back, I tend to listen to Si Monumentum prayer section at a time (in particular third prayer onwards).

However, as song structures go, fuck me Kenose is a beast. The songs inherently evolve, it's like the whole EP is just one big mutation. How they could ever rehearse this stuff is beyond me.

Album is called "Vastiia tenebrd mortifera" , it's their only full length. Nate the rest of the album is mostly raw black metal french style (great sorrowful riffs and amazing vocals) They share a member with celestia i believe (another good french band)

Nemtheanga's pretty keen on Funeral Mist, he let me hear some today for my first listen. Fucking incredible. That guy's vocals might be the best in black metal right now.

But I haven't heard enough of them to say they're the most talented. I'm blown away by the very little Deathspell I've heard as well, but again, I'm really just not familiar enough.

Watain rules too.

All good choices is my guess.

All of those bands are awful.

Shining, Xasthur, Velvet Cacoon, Drudkh and Weakling are all pretty talented modern bm bands imo.