Death Metal

Carcassian said:
You mean you've played so much stuff that it doesn't hit you as being "heavy" anymore? I kind of understand that in a wa - like when I was 8, the Black Sabbath that my dad played sounded like a tonne of bricks.

Now it doesn't.

That doesn't mean, however, that I can't hear "heavy" in death metal etc anymore, just that I now know how to appreciate it, rather than:

OMG TAHT METAL IZ DA HEAVEIST EVA!!!!!!!! LOL111

Thats basically what I was getting at. I can definitely appreciate music for what it is. My taste in music is always expanding. But preferably I would much rather listen to death metal that is faster and heavier. I can hear "heavy" in metal too, but not in the sense that it once was. Its a feeling that I must admit I miss having.

VampyrRose said:
Thats basically what I was getting at. I can definitely appreciate music for what it is. My taste in music is always expanding. But preferably I would much rather listen to death metal that is faster and heavier. I can hear "heavy" in metal too, but not in the sense that it once was. Its a feeling that I must admit I miss having.

Tried giving it a break? When I feel DM fatigue settling in, I give some of the old thrash stuff or some of my doom stuff a couple of weeks rotation.

Nothing like some plodding, meloncholic doom to reintoroduce you to the wonder of speedy, brutal death metal a couple of weeks later!:hotjump:

Carcassian said:
Tried giving it a break? When I feel DM fatigue settling in, I give some of the old thrash stuff or some of my doom stuff a couple of weeks rotation.

Nothing like some plodding, meloncholic doom to reintoroduce you to the wonder of speedy, brutal death metal a couple of weeks later!:hotjump:

Well its more of a general feeling but I see what you're saying and everything. To be honest I really don't listen to death metal as much as it may sound, more so I am an avid black metal fan!

Do you have any recommendations of good death metal bands that are of the faster, heavier type (excluding grindcore). But that also have good album/sound production. I find a lot of death metal cds have low/dull sound quality that only hinders its potential. (quite the oppposite of black metal I suppose).

Something in the vein of these albums?
Behemoth - Demigod
Belphegor - The Goatreich Fleshcult
Panzerchrist - Roomservice
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines or Annihilation of the Wicked

Recently, I've been enjoying Necrophagist, the new Bolt Thrower (warning: Mid Paced), Exhumed's covers album, Akercocke, Sons of Slaughter (Scottish grind/death) - if its constant speed and good production that you're after (and that you stand a chance of finding in the shops) try

Vader or Krisiun - raging thrashy death metal. Detractors will tell you all their albums sound similar.

I'm not a detractor.

Oh, and if you haven't already got it, Carcass' Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious is STILL the best death metal lbum ever recorded.

Carcassian said:
Recently, I've been enjoying Necrophagist, the new Bolt Thrower (warning: Mid Paced), Exhumed's covers album, Akercocke, Sons of Slaughter (Scottish grind/death) - if its constant speed and good production that you're after (and that you stand a chance of finding in the shops) try

Vader or Krisiun - raging thrashy death metal. Detractors will tell you all their albums sound similar.

I'm not a detractor.

Thanks, I'll have to try some of those. I do like Akercocke's latest album. And I recently downloaded Krisiun's new AssassiNation album but I'll have to listen to it......and Kataklysm's "In the Arms of Devastation" which is quite good.

Yeah, I'm liking the Kataklysm too.

I'm going through one of my doom phases at the minute though, so its time for another spin of the Candlemass back catalogue.

Carcassian said:
Yeah, I'm liking the Kataklysm too.

I'm going through one of my doom phases at the minute though, so its time for another spin of the Candlemass back catalogue.

Yeah I've been listening to a bit of doom lately....I recently downloaded the entire My Dying Bride discography!

The_Harmathroditic_Ferret said:
HOLY SHIT I'VE ONLY HEARD THE TITLE TRACK ON THE ALBUM!!! I DOWNLOADED IT ONLINE... IT'S ONE OF MY 20 FAVORITE SONGS OF ALL TIME!!! I MUST FIND THIS ALBUM!!!:headbang:

Just wait 'till you hear the last song on that album, called Entwined by Vengeance. The song is 10 minutes long but doesn't get boring (at least, that's my opinion).

Danish death metallers Koldborn has started to become good, start with their MCD "Devil Of All Deals" and stay away from the earlier material though. Iniquity has always held the banner high, when they where around, to bad not more people know them, than the case is.

NunSlaughter is always enjoyable, Exmortem as well, Martire kicks some serious ass, Portal as well, when we are downunder, and Rites Of Thy Degringolade is pretty good as well, when talking noisy tech weird shit.

The_Harmathroditic_Ferret said:
HOLY SHIT I'VE ONLY HEARD THE TITLE TRACK ON THE ALBUM!!! I DOWNLOADED IT ONLINE... IT'S ONE OF MY 20 FAVORITE SONGS OF ALL TIME!!! I MUST FIND THIS ALBUM!!!:headbang:

Yes, you must. It's fantastic. :worship: But check out the back catalogue as well, that's good too.

I recently downloaded "Identisick" by Benighted (a French DM band). I'm liking it so far, its pretty good.

I know they're not death metal, and i could be digging me a shallow grave, but Strapping Young Lad (as simplistic and stupid as they may be) come across as pretty heavy to me. That could very well be the way they are produced though, which is loud as shit (Townshed is a fucking genius producer!).

Akercocke and Cephalic Carnage are heavy too.

Idunnonuten said:
I know they're not death metal, and i could be digging me a shallow grave, but Strapping Young Lad (as simplistic and stupid as they may be) come across as pretty heavy to me. That could very well be the way they are produced though, which is loud as shit (Townshed is a fucking genius producer!).

Akercocke and Cephalic Carnage are heavy too.

Well, it is quite simple.....Good production = heavier sound

Benighted!! That's the name. I was trying to remember that for the past like two weeks.

Oh but I was thinking of a different one, there's like twenty.