Death Metal

Sinister actually is pretty brutal. So is Incantation. Brutal Death Metal doesn't have a stranglehold on the term. :p

When it's capitalized in the phrase "Brutal Death Metal," yes, but brutal is still an applicable term to non-"Brutal Death Metal" bands, though I suppose it would help to clarify if you're making a major point in which the discrepancy is important.

It does. It's like saying technical tbh. Technical Death Metal is something different than just death metal that is technical (since all death metal is inherently technical and thus that modifier isn't necessary unless you're talking about death metal which FOCUSES on technicality and the compositional elements that arise once you up the level of technicality/rhythmic shifts/etc.).

Brutal death metal does actually mean something new and specific, because it is a sub-genre (style) of death metal; all death metal is brutal to some extent esp. considering the nature of the genre itself (is there any submissive and relenting death metal?...that'd be weird. It wouldn't be death metal I don't think).

edit: mad ninja'd. And I can agree with Nec; the distinction should definitely be made so it doesn't sound like you are saying that Sinister (riff-based old-school death metal) are Brutal Death Metal (usually focuses on rhythmic intensity and primitive groove, or extreme speed and chaos; or both even sometimes).

Even worse is that there are even more SUB-STYLES of brutal death metal. Really, the "genreification" never fucking ends. Deeds of Flesh and Devourment are HUGELY different, but are both still considered brutal death due to the circumstances out of which they were born and how they developed.

Devourment rule! I do wish they had better production, as it would sound even better if you could distinguish pitch a little bit better than you can. They have some really cool riffs, but with their production, the music pretty much winds up being purely rhythmic in nature (as aspect of their sound I imagine many wouldn't like).

What are you even talking about? Plenty of slam death fans like things to be purely rhythmic, and a lot of the early Devourment stuff is definitely almost only rhythmic with guitars playing chromatic slam riffs to accentuate the percussive nature of the songwriting.

What are you even talking about? Plenty of slam death fans like things to be purely rhythmic, and a lot of the early Devourment stuff is definitely almost only rhythmic with guitars playing chromatic slam riffs to accentuate the percussive nature of the songwriting.
I wasn't talking about slam death fans at all. I was more referring to fans of old school death metal who look down upon Devourment and bands who sound like them. Of course slam fans have no problem with purely rhythmic bdm.

I dig Sinister! My friend let me put they're album Savage or Grace on my computer, I think it's a best of or double album because there are alot of songs on it. Didn't this band have a chick singer reciently, not currently but an album or two ago?