Death Metal

EXCRUCIATE - Passage of Life is being reissued.

THE CRYPT, a subsidiary of Dark Symphonies, is a new label dedicated to resurrecting underground metal classics on limited vinyl. We are proud to announce our first release... The debut masterpiece from the Legendary Swedish Cult "EXCRUCIATE - Passage of Life", officially sanctioned by the band, featuring the classic original artwork, lyrics, liner notes, etc! Limited to 300 copies! To be unleashed summer 2009!
More details to follow...

www.darksymphonies.com/thecrypt

Funebrarums new album is excellent and technically the bands first album being `Beneath the Columns of Abandoned Gods' was originally an independent demo. Paganizer scandinavian warmachine has leaked. I've heard some songs so far which are ridiculously good.

Beneath the Columns was not an independent release. It was put out through Necroharmonic.

New record is total devastation in the style of GRAVE, CARNAGE and early CARCASS. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking from it.

The new ULCERATE album is a whole other animal. It's basically a mixture of Immolation and Deathspell Omega. A massive whirlwind of sound and fury, with a serious progressive edge.

www.myspace.com/ulcerate

I know I run my mouth about this album alot... but has anyone else listened to this?

2ij25hj.jpg

After several listens... the only thing I can equate it to is The Chasm (yes I'm going that far) with a vocalist with completely insane ranges. I dont know where this guy went after Kataklysm's first two full lengths... but its a damn shame if he isnt somewhere growling, shrieking, and the other thing he does I cant quite explain. :)

Beneath the Columns was not an independent release. It was put out through Necroharmonic.

Yeah, but was originally the Tombs of Sleeping Darkness demo being released officially as Beneath the Columns a year later...

Excruciate `Hymns of Mortality demo is a lot better than the actual fullength.

The new ULCERATE album is a whole other animal. It's basically a mixture of Immolation and Deathspell Omega. A massive whirlwind of sound and fury, with a serious progressive edge.

The few songs I heard from this were enough to kick my ass straight up. Amazing stuff.

I know I run my mouth about this album alot... but has anyone else listened to this?

2ij25hj.jpg

After several listens... the only thing I can equate it to is The Chasm (yes I'm going that far) with a vocalist with completely insane ranges. I dont know where this guy went after Kataklysm's first two full lengths... but its a damn shame if he isnt somewhere growling, shrieking, and the other thing he does I cant quite explain. :)
I need to check this album out, all I've heard from Kataklysm is the newer stuff I've liked.

Right now I'm listening to this band called Maimed. Heavy as hell mid paced death metal and it's a shame they only released a demo in the early 90s before calling it quits. Here's a review written by a friend:

This is a very brutal very early death metal demo that I feel was way ahead of its time. It's very "slammy" - lots of groove riffs. Maimed's music has a definite hint of Obituary, musically. The vocals, however, are very extreme death metal styled lower-to-midrange. I think that if this demo sounded better that you could easily pass it off as being released recently.

There are no modern blastbeats at all on this demo, but it definitely maintains much brutality throughout. Whereas much early death metal lacked depth and songwriting, I don't feel it to be the case with this demo or band. I've seen this band referred to as doom in some arenas, but I'd have to disagree.

The music is closer to Lipid (Denmark) than it is any doom band that comes to mind. The songs are indeed on the slower side, but are pretty much wall-to-wall groove riffs - an element rarely found in any subgenre of doom. The tempo of the songs may very well be the reason for the doom label, however.

Another element that makes this demo way ahead of its time is the implementation of lower tuned guitars - something we didn't hear very much of until considerably later on in the 90s. My personal favorite track on the 5-song demo has to be "Burned", track 2. If there was anything doomy at all to be pointed out about this band, I think it would be the tempo-drop thick riff midway through the song.

It's a complete shame that 5 songs is all we ever got from Maimed, but I'm thankful that we did. Fans of Lipid and Eciton (both from Denmark) will absolutely love this demo, and should seek it out and get it. You won't be disappointed.

If anyone is interested in hearing the demo, I have it.