Death Metal

Absolutely disagree, sounds like a fucking tepid, boring version of Incantation if they all had a stroke and needed to relearn how to play their instruments.

And the production sucks.

Yeah I don't get the hate. I wouldn't say it's best OSDM of the year personally (not with Chronic Decay, Burial Invocation, Mutant Supremacy, and Bastard Priest around) but it's pretty damn good regardless.

so far my favorite death metal albums of this year:

Weapon - From The Devil's Tomb (black/death)
Defeated Sanity - Chapters of Repugnance (brutal death)
Chronic Decay - Justify Your Existence (old school Swedish death)
Bastard Priest - Under the Hammer of Destruction (Swedish death mixed with some grind and crust)
Perdition Temple - Edict of the Antichrist Elect (black/death Angelcorpse-ish death metal)

so far my favorite death metal albums of this year:

Weapon - From The Devil's Tomb (black/death)
Defeated Sanity - Chapters of Repugnance (brutal death)
Chronic Decay - Justify Your Existence (old school Swedish death)
Bastard Priest - Under the Hammer of Destruction (Swedish death mixed with some grind and crust)
Perdition Temple - Edict of the Antichrist Elect (black/death Angelcorpse-ish death metal)

edit: all three are great albums.... i also checked out Defeated Sanity but didn't think too much of it on the first listen.

What are some good/essential melodeath albums I should check out?

inb4melodeathisntdeathmetal

Really isn't but here are some good ones:

Enter My Silence - Coordinate: D1SA5T3R
Soulbreach - My Dividing Line
Detonation - Portals to Uphobia
Calmsite - Elvisdeath
Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait
Omnium Gatherum - Spirits and August Light
Disarmonia Mundi - Fragments of D-Generation

New Ulcerate album in January 2011, listening to the first downloadable track right now, sounds REALLY promising. Love the Deathspell Omega feel in these guys.

listening to some Vomitory today and for the first time heard some similarities to Immortal,

Is Vomitory considered blackened death?