Death Metal

Basically what I am getting at is how do you ever expect there to be genre longevity, future classics and important bands if everyone adopts your attitude that if it isn't crucial to shaping the genre, then it's worthless. By doing so you are eliminating any potential and the genre might as well die off, and simply be remembered only by those select bands.

I could start a band wanting to be that next big thing, but the chances are incredibly slim for that to happen. And I'm sure most bands would like to be as well, but they are at the mercy of the listeners, and those who may or may not give them the platform to try to achieve their dreams.

By your logic, the current death metal scene must be dead or pretty close to being so. Either that, or I’m guessing you don’t listen to much death metal beyond the early 90s? In your opinion is death metal even a genre remotely relevant today?

Death metal isn't really viable as an ongoing creative entity, or, at the very least, is far less vital than it once was. And so what? That, too, is part of the nature of things. Momentum is lost. Entropy sets in. Only death is real. Why should death metal be immune? I certainly don't see how this constitutes a reason to pretend mediocrity is relevant.

DM is looking pretty good from where I see it...probably better than ever.I've loved recent albums by Stargazer,Sacriphyx,Innsmouth,Blood Revolt and others..There's quite a few bands nowadays who're pushing the genre and I like.

Death metal isn't really viable as an ongoing creative entity, or, at the very least, is far less vital than it once was. And so what? That, too, is part of the nature of things. Momentum is lost. Entropy sets in. Only death is real. Why should death metal be immune? I certainly don't see how this constitutes a reason to pretend mediocrity is relevant.

This isn't something exclusive to death metal, you can say the same thing about nearly every genre. It's a matter of opinion as to whether or not you think the current crop of bands are worthless. But hey, it's your loss if you're jaded and can't find any enjoyment in any recent albums, plenty of others can and will.

I listen to many types of music and I still find worthwhile releases in obscure territory, and even in bands I've previously overlooked. Like Xorv says, if you dig deeper you might find something you like. If that doesn't work, maybe try exploring other types of music?

You must be a blast at parties. Everyone likes a poopy pants who tries to act smart by using two-dollar words in the hopes that no one will notice he's just spouting nonsense.

This isn't something exclusive to death metal, you can say the same thing about nearly every genre. It's a matter of opinion as to whether or not you think the current crop of bands are worthless. But hey, it's your loss if you're jaded and can't find any enjoyment in any recent albums, plenty of others can and will.

I listen to many types of music and I still find worthwhile releases in obscure territory, and even in bands I've previously overlooked. Like Xorv says, if you dig deeper you might find something you like. If that doesn't work, maybe try exploring other types of music?

There's plenty I like, more than I really have time to appreciate on a regular basis even. Again, we're talking about a collective corpus of at least a couple hundred worthy albums from the genre's heyday, albums that almost by definition reward you every time you play them. If you're settling for mediocrity, I'd honestly advise you to dig deeper, because there's no good reason you should have to settle in the first place. The trick is finding enough time to listen to all the great records out there, not finding enough records to fill the time.

There's plenty I like, more than I really have time to appreciate on a regular basis even. Again, we're talking about a collective corpus of at least a couple hundred worthy albums from the genre's heyday, albums that almost by definition reward you every time you play them. If you're settling for mediocrity, I'd honestly advise you to dig deeper, because there's no good reason you should have to settle in the first place. The trick is finding enough time to listen to all the great records out there, not finding enough records to fill the time.

Who says anyone is settling for mediocrity? Maybe you're trying too hard to be objective in your approach and it's preventing you from enjoying the aspects of the genre that you like.

Who says anyone is settling for mediocrity? Maybe you're trying too hard to be objective in your approach and it's preventing you from enjoying the aspects of the genre that you like.

You're not paying attention. There are literally hundreds of death metal albums that I enjoy. I just don't enjoy the albums that aren't outstanding. Time is a zero sum game, and time spent listening to a lesser album is time not spent with a better album.

Ulcerate
Sonne Adam
Necros Christos
Mitochondrion
Portal
Stargazer

Death metal is doing fine I'd say.

Not sure if this is the best thread to post this, but there's a new Ares Kingdom hoodie for anybody looking for a metal related item of clothing, from Promethean Burn.

akflyer_final_large.png

See this thread for details: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=512407

I listened to that first song, waited five minutes, to see if I could remember the riffs. I could, and it's stuck in my head.

I wouldn't say you're anything like Rotten Sound, but absolutely like Aborted in all the right ways. That's a debut? Shit, son, it took Aborted themselves about four albums to get the sound this good.