Death Metal

A cool Danish demo from 2013.

Another cool demo, this one Dutch and 20 years older.

Also, if the new Warfather is any indication, the new MA might be pretty fucking solid.

Reactions: CiG and The Ozzman
Found this on the internet today. Weird Finnish death metal that can be called old school in the loosest and strangest sense of the term. It's jazz/psychedelic death metal that's equally putrid and playful. It's spacey yet oddly dense and jazzy, but not in the Atheist "jazz on speed" kind of way. More like a free form/lounge jazz type and when combined with death metal it becomes shockingly angular and dissonant.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
I absolutely enjoy the new Mercyless album Pathetic Divinity. It's old-school Death metal but they really developed a blend of their own. Very underrated band.

Of course I enjoy all the typical old Death metal stuff: Death, Pestilence, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Malevolent Creation, Solstice, Obituary, Atheist, Monstrosity, Dismember, Entombed etc. etc...

But there are also some kickass new bands like Carnation or Unconsecrated for example.

Here's an album I think more people should hear. Jared Anderson's solo project, featuring Laureano and Roddy on drums at different parts of the album, mixed by Rutan. Considering Jared was in both bands, it should be no shock this bears a lot of similarities to Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal.

Here's an album I think more people should hear. Jared Anderson's solo project, featuring Laureano and Roddy on drums at different parts of the album, mixed by Rutan. Considering Jared was in both bands, it should be no shock this bears a lot of similarities to Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal.

Dude yeah. Jared Anderson was a Cincy local and is missed by lots of the guys I know here. Killer shit.

So I was driving with some people in the car (one of which I didn't know very well, he was the bf of my friend) and I was blasting The Chasm's Deathcult for Eternity of course. And then the guy who I didn't know very well said "oh do you listen to Five Finger Death Punch? They sound like this." Don't think I've ever been so offended in my life. I guess to some people all heavy music sounds similar, probably due to the lack of a brain and a functioning pair of ears.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
I remember before I got into metal it all pretty much sounded like mindless noise to me.

Now that I know better I'm drawn to metal that tries to sound like mindless noise...

Most def this. IDGAF if someone makes an ostensibly offending comparison to something more vanilla or w/e. My initial draw to the heavier stuff was to unearth the hidden layers in much of the more extreme scenes and can totally understand it not translating to layman's. No one should ever expect just anyone to find any of this stuff to be enjoyable.