Death Metal

Yeah, it's pretty strange that no one has said a word about new The Chasm as they are worshipped around here just like Manilla Road.

Nobody has said shit about like, the last two Manilla Road albums really.

i think i might have chased the in-crowders away for a while.

Ian-McShane-Proud.gif

Reactions: EspaDa and CiG
Nobody has said shit about like, the last two Manilla Road albums really.

They're expensive imports and seem kinda underwhelming. Wish Manilla Road would come back to SKR. I still havent even found a copy of Dreams of Eschaton for a decent price yet.

I'm not interested in the new The Chasm 'cuz it's instrumental. I know everyone keeps acting like that doesnt matter, but the silence about the album says more, imo.

historically the chasm's instrumentals are among their most jerked off over tunes, and the last album (which was half instrumental) is their most popular album, so i don't envision most people having a problem with it.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Instrumental death metal just feels empty to me. It's a cool novelty I guess, but I have a hard time actually considering it "death metal". For me, vocals are what defines death metal, otherwise it could really be any genre. I like some instrumental songs here and there but a full album would be very difficult for me to sit through. Just my own opinion. I'll probably check it out, but I don't plan on buying it.

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
Instrumental death metal just feels empty to me. It's a cool novelty I guess, but I have a hard time actually considering it "death metal". For me, vocals are what defines death metal, otherwise it could really be any genre. I like some instrumental songs here and there but a full album would be very difficult for me to sit through. Just my own opinion. I'll probably check it out, but I don't plan on buying it.

Mos def! Especially for a band like The Chasm who have a flair for trad and progressive flourishes. It's weird though because I know almost none of the lyrics of any of my favorite death metal albums.

Lyrics =/= vocals. As a fan primarily of brutal death metal for the past few years, lyrics mean almost nothing to me. Song titles, yeah, but I know almost zero lyrics from most of my favorite brutal death bands. With "regular" death metal, it's obviously a bit different, but you get the idea. To me, and I think to a large majority of DM fans, lyrics take a backseat to the vocals being used as another instrument.

this seems like a superficial complaint to me, just a stubborn mentality to get past in the same way casuals have to get past their disdain for growls or w/e. i can't really think of another metal band more suited to making an instrumental album than the chasm personally, but maybe i'll change my mind when i hear it lol

this seems like a superficial complaint to me, just a stubborn mentality to get past in the same way casuals have to get past their disdain for growls or w/e. i can't really think of another metal band more suited to making an instrumental album than the chasm personally, but maybe i'll change my mind when i hear it lol

The music itself is in full-form, but it's hard to digest the album in it's entirety for me without vocals to tether my attention to. There's no doubt in my mind that you'll love it.

i get that. i'd rather it had vocals too tbf, if only because i love corchado's vox, but i don't see the lack as a dealbreaker or anything, and i think it's a ballsy attempt to do something different. do you not think more listens will allow you to get a sense of the structure and digest it eventually?

'love' is a strong word, i wouldn't exactly say i loved the previous couple of chasm albums. still listened to and enjoyed them a ton tho

i get that. i'd rather it had vocals too tbf, if only because i love corchado's vox, but i don't see the lack as a dealbreaker or anything, and i think it's a ballsy attempt to do something different. do you not think more listens will allow you to get a sense of the structure and digest it eventually?

I don't see why I should have to listen to something I don't like to begin with enough times to start pretending that I do to justify the wasted time.

there's a difference between not liking something and not being able to digest something. if you're a member of the former camp your replying to that post was the definition of wasted time.