Death Metal

Also, here's a nifty little Lithuanian demo from 1993 I found, some here might enjoy it.

Love this tape, I actually own a copy funnily enough. Some guy was just selling it for peanuts so I took a chance on it.

I wish someone would reissue it (or just the band's whole discography) on CD so I didn't have to enjoy playing it through a haze of paranoia that the tape deck might chew it up.

The MCD they released in 1995 is also killer stuff:

No, I hate when people don't actually contribute anything, just spam shit that everyone is already familiar with. Plus, it would be one thing to make one big post, but to literally make 8 posts in a row is obnoxious. Like "haha great here's a big list of youtube videos from bands that have already been discussed to death in the past 650+ pages of this thread, that gives the conversation such an exciting direction to go in, thanks for taking up an entire page, hails and horns". Fuck off.

Actually, I do hate The Bleeding hahaha but that wasn't my point in the first place. Cannibal Corpse is my favorite band, I love almost everything they've done, but that album is a boring, unlistenable pop album. Stripped, Raped, and Strangled belongs on a fucking Britney Spears CD. Boring riffs, pop song structures, and Chris sounds more like he does with SFU than anything, which sucks because I think Tomb is one of the ugliest, sickest vocal performances in death metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Once I clicked on the previous page and scrolled up I realised why you put him on ignore but it was too late to edit my comment haha. It can definitely be insufferable, isn't that what the 'songs currently kicking your ass' thread is for?

Btw of the Corpsegrinder-era albums which is your favourite?

Reactions: morguelord
Yeah exactly.

Bloodthirst takes the cake without a doubt. That's actually my favorite album of all time. I could never get tired of hearing that whole fucking thing. Outside of that, I consider from Vile to The Wretched Spawn to be their "Golden Era" of sorts, at least with Corpsegrinder. They started getting to be the biggest name in DM, while still being underground and touring with bands like Severed Savior or Unmerciful. I love their mid-era sound, it's tight, razor sharp, and basically what got me into death metal as a whole, almost a decade ago now (I'm only 24). As soon as Jack Owen left, they declined, I think Kill was a drop in quality, and then they really plateaued there, as all albums since then really sound about the same, to me anyway.

Bloodthirst fucking rules, I haven't heard that album in forever. For me my favourite post-Barnes era album has always been The Wretched Spawn but in the last couple of years I've had a growing obsession with Gallery of Suicide, to the point where I might even say I prefer it over the first 3 Cannibal Corpse albums which I am a huge fan of.

Did you like the Vile material that had Chris Barnes on vocals? IIRC he didn't sound anywhere near as worn out and bad as he did on The Bleeding but I could be misremembering.

it's tight, razor sharp

Perfect way to describe their mid era.

Last edited:
I need to play it again, it's been probably a full month since I heard it, which is way too long hahaha. Gallery is great imo, I love how they started working in the creepy atmospheres, if I ever ran a haunted house, I'd just play From Skin to Liquid on loop throughout the whole thing. And I Don't think I've ever actually heard the Vile stuff with Barnes. I know I've seen it around on YouTube and such, I'll have to give it a listen soon.

Also, to highlight my own hypocrisy, I berated someone else for posting the same bands everyone knows that have been discussed to death over and over, then proceeded to discuss Cannibal Corpse, the ultimate death metal dead-horse-beating known to man. Sorry. Lol

lol im so fucking cut up
i'll put up what l want. simple as that
especially when i'm stoned out of my eyeballs and drunk as a cunt

and cig feel free to join his hypocrisy and unlike all those tunes, lm sure everyone is familiar with damaged and decomposing serenity

Surprised to see any appreciation for Gallery of Suicide, it is weak but maybe I should try it again. Bloodthirst is solid and their last strong album, but certainly not their best IMO. Gore obsessed and Wretched Spawn are good to listen to for about three spins, only to land in the never-to-be-heard again pile. Vile is the best of any of their albums, and a big step up over the Created to Kill demo. I used to think that Bleeding was their best work, but pulled it out a few months ago and it kind of sucks actually. Butchered at birth is the album that I probably listen to the most by them anymore but Tomb is still a nice listen. I agree that the albums after the wretched Spawn are weak and don't care for them but the two albums prior to Kill were way too formulaic

lol im so fucking cut up
i'll put up what l want. simple as that
especially when i'm stoned out of my eyeballs and drunk as a cunt

and cig feel free to join his hypocrisy and unlike all those tunes, lm sure everyone is familiar with damaged and decomposing serenity

Calm down cupcake, no need to get your panties in an uproar.

I need to play it again, it's been probably a full month since I heard it, which is way too long hahaha. Gallery is great imo, I love how they started working in the creepy atmospheres, if I ever ran a haunted house, I'd just play From Skin to Liquid on loop throughout the whole thing. And I Don't think I've ever actually heard the Vile stuff with Barnes. I know I've seen it around on YouTube and such, I'll have to give it a listen soon.

Yeah that's what it is, the atmosphere. I hesitate to use that word to describe the album because it has so much stupid baggage now but there's something more dark and fucked up going on with Gallery of Suicide.

You really should check out the Vile demo tracks with Barnes man, I think you'll be quite surprised at his performance. Of course since they're demos, they naturally sound rawer etc. But fucking hell I think he sounds ruthless.

Also, to highlight my own hypocrisy, I berated someone else for posting the same bands everyone knows that have been discussed to death over and over, then proceeded to discuss Cannibal Corpse, the ultimate death metal dead-horse-beating known to man. Sorry. Lol

True but I feel like actual Cannibal Corpse discussion is lacking, most of it is just "yeah it's good" or "yeah it sucks" and the band itself flies massively under the GMD radar.

Last edited: