Death Metal

Tbh I thought basically everyone that had the channel watched Metalocalypse in the day.

It was at least funny to me when I was an 18-19 yr old couch surfer that never slept at night. Their music was better off left as short snippets in the show, once they went real albums with it, all the weaknesses came through in a hurry.

Reactions: zerostatic

Some quality progressive death metal from Poland. Been jamming this a bit lately, fucking adore that very audible bass noodling.

This is really good. For various reasons, including that glorious bass-forward mix, it puts me in mind of Afflicted, though I guess less self-consciously weird. Thanks for spotlighting this.

Need to encourage some tech death discussion then!

Tech death ya say?

I love Brain Drill's uber insane technical wanking.

most people hate on Brain Drill because they have the super deedily wanking modern tech-death soudn down to a tee, but i deinfitly dig some of their stuff ...

@0:50 mark of this track just fucking takes off!!

Reactions: Sophii and CiG
I still remember when Apocalyptic Feasting came out and everybody I knew was gassing it up, and then I finally heard it in early 2009 and had no idea what to make of it. I'd heard tech death before that but nothing quite as mechanical and clinical and basically over the top, still think it's sick as fuck but I never heard any of their other stuff afterwards. Listening to that track you posted from it and it sounds even better to these ears now.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Yeah, they're basically the king of that over the top sound you described that a bunch of younger bands went on to adopt(or try to at least). Most people here used to shit on them back when i joined. But most of those people were the usual pretentious douchebags so eh

Both of those tracks are on Apocalyptic Feasting. Give Quantum Catastrophe a shot too ...

Reactions: Sophii and CiG
Man, I hope this won't sound blasphemous, but I'm a bit tired of the tech death stuff influenced or made around Forest Lapointe bassplaying. Tapping bassists were impressive the first years or albums, but now it's like a fucking plague.

I'm a bassist myself, I've been playing 6 string fretless bass exclusively for 15 years. The guy is an incredible musician. His work with Augury is supreme, but the stuff he has been doing with Beyond Creation, First Fragment and I don't know how many more bands is horribly boring, riffless and sounds like the same shit over and over. To be noodling for 4-5 minutes straight, playing scales up and down is impressive, but after a while it totally misses the point.

I mean, like this:

I still think the best bass playing for modern tech death was provided by Jeroen Thesselling on Obscura's Cosmogenesis. I'm not an Obscura fan and that album is not perfect, but the basslines are perfectly written and performed. There is a sense or restraint and service to the songs that makes Jeroen (and guys like Steve Di Giorgio and Sean Malone) to be on the top of metal bass masters.

i used to have a 5 string ESP that i fucked around with growing up.

Yea JPT's bass playing is godly and i agree with you on him being at the top. Cosomogenesis is also not only one of the best modern tech-death albums, but one of the best in the history of the subgenre. A flawless masterpiece imo. Beyond Creation is another very good band that is far, FAAAR from "just noodling" so im not sure what the fuck you're talking about there. Maybe you're mistaking them for another band because that statement is just 100% false.

there are only a handful of tech-death bands that have the godly songwriting ability of Obscura and Beyond Creation. Perfect example of a tech-death band that takes noodling to another level is Brain Drill ... and they sound almost nothing like these two bands.

Last edited:
i used to have a 5 string ESP that i fucked around with growing up.

Yea JPL's bass playing is godly and i agree with you on him being at the top. Cosomogenesis is also not only one of the best modern tech-death albums, but one of the best in the history of the subgenre. A flawless masterpiece imo. Beyond Creation is another very good band that is far, FAAAR from "just noodling" so im not sure what the fuck you're talking about there. Maybe you're mistaking them for another band because that statement is just 100% false.

there are only a handful of tech-death bands that have the godly songwriting ability of Obscura and Beyond Creation. Perfect example of a tech-death band that takes noodling to another level is Brain Drill ... and they sound almost nothing like these two bands.

Augury was far superior to Beyond Creation. I think that's the apex of that style.

I heard Beyond Creation and got bored of it. They are no Brain Drill, sure. They have some skills and dynamics in their songwriting, but I think their music is pretty empty. There's a serious lack of harmonic progression that makes me perceive their music as a collection of "cool" parts but not real compositions with a clear motif.

When you listen albums like Focus, Symbolic, or even Cosmogenesis, you get not only great performances, but the riffs and melodies flow with each other nicely. The music on such albums has a very defined direction. You can tell the songs were crafted with a very solid harmonic foundation, upon which the rest of the band's arrangements elevate. It's not the case to me with BC, Teramobil or the stuff Forest is doing nowadays.

We don't have to agree, it's just my way to observe music in general terms, which of course, it shouldn't be the same as yours. I get your point anyway.

Beyond Creation ..... There's a serious lack of harmonic progression
:lol: it's like you completely ignored the songs i posted.
yea dude, now i understand. you seem to love pretending to be familiar with albums that you're clearly not familiar with at all(you've proven this numerous times in just the past hour). This was hinted about you by a few other dudes here but now i'm convinced.

:lol:
yea dude, now i understand. you seem to love pretending to be familiar with albums that you're clearly not familiar with at all(you've proven this numerous times just today). This was hinted about you by a few other dudes here but now i'm convinced.
I heard the first BC album with Forest and I sort of liked it. The second one with him (Earthborn) did little to me. I stop listening albums that I don't like or get bored with, so my answer was written with the impression those albums left on me after enough listening sessions to get such judgement.

The song you posted with the other guy on bass has zero death metal riffs. Maybe some melodeath riffs if I'm generous, but not straight up death metal riffs. It's brutal? Fast, more like it. It sounds very light to my ears.

I heard the first BC album with Forest and I sort of liked it. The second one with him (Earthborn) did little to me. I stop listening albums that I don't like or get bored with, so my answer was written with the impression those albums left on me after enough listening sessions to get such judgement.
can you honestly say that any of the tracks i posted "lack harmonic progression"?

What do you think of the second one i posted? Its from their last album and has a new bassist who's also pretty good

Man if you think Beyond Creation is lifeless...I'm not so sure what to say. Forest is a killer bass player but he's not as frantic and crazy as you think. Dude definitely knows how to emphasize melody and control. He likes added coloring into the sound, much like DiGiorgio and the ilk.

Scott Plummer (r.i.p.) and Necrophagist's old bassist are better example of "mechanical bass playing"

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
can you honestly say that any of the tracks i posted "lack harmonic progression"?

What do you think of the second one i posted? Its from their last album and has a new bassist who's also pretty good

I was updating my post, but anyway:

"The song you posted with the other guy on bass has zero death metal riffs. Maybe some melodeath riffs if I'm generous, but not straight up death metal riffs. It's brutal? Fast, more like it. It sounds very light to my ears".

This is my very personal impression: they wrote 3 different sections and pasted them into a "song". Sure, the technicality of it is great and it has a lot of melody, but it doesn't flow well from start to finish. There's quantity, but it doesn't go into a seamless progression as the aforementioned albums.

Man if you think Beyond Creation is lifeless...I'm not so sure what to say. Forest is a killer bass player but he's not as frantic and crazy as you think. Dude definitely knows how to emphasize melody and control. He likes added coloring into the sound, much like DiGiorgio and the ilk.

Scott Plummer (r.i.p.) and Necrophagist's old bassist are better example of "mechanical bass playing"

I think Forest did an incredible job in Augury, but then again, that band is a different style, thus his skills were used in a better way IMO.

I posted the Teramobil song because it's the perfect example of how to lose yourself into the gimmick. That band seems to be a joke and has zero riffs as well.