Death Metal

you're a moron. One of the reasons you said you dislike that Death album is because supposedly(and a pretty damn ridiculous claim at that) "the songwriting is too simplistic", while at the same time praising one of the most simplistic death/thrash releases. I think those hormone pills you're taking have damaged your already feeble mind.

It's a question of matching means to motive. The goal of making a record is to communicate something, not just preserve a collection of sounds. Early Sepultura communicates something through its direct and violent urgency that would be lost on a more complex record. Symbolic takes highly complex discrete elements and then just sends them around in circles.

Human is their weakest album.

For me that would be Spiritual Healing. Great album though.

It's basically an exploration of violence and force at a purely visceral level.

You're accusing Death of superficiality yet you say something as pretentious as this? That split material wasn't any kind of "exploration" it was a band of kids copying their influences in a very primitive way because they were bored and their country sucked.

I just don't trust non-inverted cross Death.

:err:

It's a question of matching means to motive. The goal of making a record is to communicate something, not just preserve a collection of sounds. Early Sepultura communicates something through its direct and violent urgency that would be lost on a more complex record. Symbolic takes highly complex discrete elements and then just sends them around in circles.

uhyyty.gif

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
You're accusing Death of superficiality yet you say something as pretentious as this? That split material wasn't any kind of "exploration" it was a band of kids copying their influences in a very primitive way because they were bored and their country sucked.

A lot of exploration ends up being a kind of groping about in the dark, and it isn't dependent on the explorers knowing what the fuck they're doing. Columbus went to his grave believing he'd found a Western passage to Asia. In the case of Sepultura, despite the nearly non-existent skills of the musicians involved, their extreme youth and the primitive conditions under which they recorded. They stumbled on something that was both powerful and new. It was also raw, simple and direct, and that worked fine for what they were trying to achieve. I don't care whether an album or song is simple or complex in the abstract; I'm interested in how this helps or hinders a band communicate with me.

A lot of exploration ends up being a kind of groping about in the dark, and it isn't dependent on the explorers knowing what the fuck they're doing. Columbus went to his grave believing he'd found a Western passage to Asia.

fsfsfs.gif

Christopher Columbus was a literal explorer. You're assigning a higher motivation to a bunch of kids playing raw music in a slum somewhere, in order to make some pretentious point.

When they recorded Bestial Devastation I think the whole band was under 17 years old.
so fucking what? to say they had no skill just because of their age shows how moronic and separated from reality some of your statements are. Fact of the matter is at that age they could have still played their instruments circles around most musicians from other genres.

Decapitated started when the members where 14-15(one being 12) and released some of the most technically mindblasting death metal of their time. so yeah, you're just a retard.

Reactions: Sophii and CiG
When they recorded Bestial Devastation I think the whole band was under 17 years old. It's very sloppy and shaky, technically. None of that really matters though.
Ivar Bjørnson was 13 when he and Grutle created Enslaved. Ivar was always the main songwriter and you see the stuff they have done through their career. In nact, many of those Norwegian guys were around 13-17 when they started their bands.

Lemmy started Mötorhead when he was what, 29 or something?

Age doesn't count for shit.

New band from the guy who originally started Decrepitaph.

Features members of Blood Incantation and Spectral Voice and they have a new EP out soon. Primitive gutsfucking shit.

I haven't listened to much newer death metal in recent years. Over the last couple of months, I've been slowly starting to pick through stuff that's come out in the last 10 years or so. Lately, I've been listening to Morbus Chron's Sweven a lot, but I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. There's a bunch to like in the details, and it certainly doesn't sound like anything else out there, but I keep waiting for a payoff that never seems to come. Like, the ability to build tension in songs is phenomenal, but the promised climax never gets delivered and everything just ends back up at those tooling atmospheric arpeggiated bits. It almost feels like a really good post rock album wearing death metal's skin, and I can't tell if I love it or hate it. I'd be interested in what y'all think of this record. Especially @CiG and @TechnicalBarbarity

Am I missing something here? Overthinking it?