Death Metal

Well influential albums are a preference, but I'm not going to sit through another "influential does/doesn't equal essential" argument.

My top prospects are looking to be Death, Asphyx, Amorphis, Possessed, and Morbid Angel.

Well influential albums are a preference, but I'm not going to sit through another "influential does/doesn't equal essential" argument.

My top prospects are looking to be Death, Asphyx, Amorphis, Possessed, and Morbid Angel.

all really good choices

if you get into asphyx, check out pestilence, also.

I didn't know we were supposed to be listing "death metal classics". Setting aside the pointless technical difference between "essential-classics" and "favourites", the aim was to provide music people would enjoy. But if you want to be picky, I'd say these were the essential "classics":

1. At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
2. Possessed - Seven Churches
3. Death - Leprosy
4. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
5. Immolation - Close to a World Below
6. Carnage - Dark Recollections
7. Obituary - Cause of Death
8. Atrocity - Todessehnsucht (Longing for Death)
9. Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting The Insalubrious
10. Therion - Beyond Sanctorum

I really think we could live without brutal death, thus no Suffocation / Cryptopsy.

Cryptopsy influenced nothing but shit, but I'd say Suffocation had plenty of excellent influence all over the world. To deny their influence outside of brutal death metal is silly. If you just dislike the brutal stuff, then I don't blame you though.

Lol at the difference between "favourites" and "essential classics" being "pointless." The two are drastically different concepts. For example, cookiecutter would totally fail at giving the recommendations that Zephyrus evidently had in mind.

Spiritual Healing from Death is their best album by a long shot and I almost put it on my list. Spiritual Healing has perfect production for an early 90's death metal album especially the century media remastered version. tight

Disincarnate ~ dreams of the carrion kind if a classic.