Death Metal

Calm down cupcake, no need to get your panties in an uproar.

Yeah that's what it is, the atmosphere. I hesitate to use that word to describe the album because it has so much stupid baggage now but there's something more dark and fucked up going on with Gallery of Suicide.

You really should check out the Vile demo tracks with Barnes man, I think you'll be quite surprised at his performance. Of course since they're demos, they naturally sound rawer etc. But fucking hell I think he sounds ruthless.

True but I feel like actual Cannibal Corpse discussion is lacking, most of it is just "yeah it's good" or "yeah it sucks" and the band itself flies massively under the GMD radar.

Barnes vocals show why they got rid of him after that demo

While on the topic of well known bands, I haven't seen any mention of morbid angels new album on here

Barnes vocals show why they got rid of him after that demo

You think so? I think they sound much better than on The Bleeding. I'm pretty sure they simply parted ways for reasons other than his vocals though.

While on the topic of well known bands, I haven't seen any mention of morbid angels new album on here

Probably a good thing.

Reactions: theflyingmachine
You think so? I think they sound much better than on The Bleeding. I'm pretty sure they simply parted ways for reasons other than his vocals though.
I could be biased just because Vile is a classic in my book so it just sounded wrong. But Barnes sounded too one-dimensional vs Corpsegrinder for that material. Likewise, rerecording Tomb or Butchered at birth with Corpsegrinder would be a Step down also

Oh, and Monstrosity's Millennium is heads and shoulders above everything that Cannibal corpse has put out after Vile

I'll agree that GOOD Cannibal Corpse discussion is missing around here. Very rarely do I ever see anyone discuss them in a positive light, or the merits of specific albums. As a huge fan, that's definitely disheartening, so this is a welcome little discussion for me! I hated Barnes vocals on The Bleeding, but I'll go into that with an open mind whenever I get around to hearing it. Thanks man!

I'll agree that for most fans of death metal, Millennium will probably beat most post-Vile CC. It's flat-out more technical and varied, and is an extremely well-crafted album. For me, I can't agree, I'd say personally it probably beats Gore Obsessed and maybe The Wretched Spawn, but it doesn't touch anything else. Certainly not Bloodthirst, for me anyway. All of this is purely personal opinion. Also, does anyone know where I can get a copy of Millennium on CD without spending an arm and a leg? I found one for six bucks a while back but I'm almost certain it's a bootleg, which I prefer to avoid.

As far as the new Morbid Angel goes, I've only heard a couple songs from it. I did enjoy them quite a bit, but I'm also a pretty big Tucker fan. I like Gateways and Formulas more than anything they ever did with Vincent, outside of maybe Covenant. Glad to have him back in the fold, where he belongs. The albums he did with Warfather were really cool as well! I've always wished that MA would've recorded an album with Jared Anderson, dude is one of my musical idols.

Reactions: zerostatic
Also, does anyone know where I can get a copy of Millennium on CD without spending an arm and a leg? I found one for six bucks a while back but I'm almost certain it's a bootleg, which I prefer to avoid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...r?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1516725774&sr=8-1

$16.50 after shipping, not too bad

I've also only heard the new MA only once and thought it was strong, but most of the response on that album is meh. But I have liked everything that they've done (sans the I album, which I have stricken from memory) and think that sometimes metal is graded on a curve, where classic material is expected each time from bands like Morbid Angel and anything less is crap, while an unknown band puts out a moderately-above-average album, and many talk about how it's fucking sick, etc

I really notice two main attitudes towards classic bands releasing new material: people are either very critical because they expect it to be totally on par with their favorites from 25 years ago, which is almost never the case, bands change, progress, or flat out lose the inspiration after so much time. Only a rare few bands from the early 90s can still pump out material that sounds like they used and could still stand alone as a good album without a massive back catalog. On the other hand, you get bunch of fangoys who will suck the dick of whatever garbage their favorite band shits out to fulfill a contract or make a quick buck, case in point that ATROCIOUS new Suffocation album. Jesus fucking Christ what a polished fucking turd that was, but you still had nerds calling it "album of the year" solely because it was Suffocation (or at least on paper...)

Personally, I try to sit somewhere in between. I like to judge an album on its own while still comparing it to the previous material of the band without completely using that as a measuring stick. Like the new Condemned; totally different line-up and it shows. I didn't mind the new album, but it doesn't really sound like their last one, which I thought ruled. So while it is a bit disappointing, I still enjoy it for what it is.

I'll agree that GOOD Cannibal Corpse discussion is missing around here. Very rarely do I ever see anyone discuss them in a positive light, or the merits of specific albums. As a huge fan, that's definitely disheartening, so this is a welcome little discussion for me! I hated Barnes vocals on The Bleeding, but I'll go into that with an open mind whenever I get around to hearing it. Thanks man!

I just don’t get the appeal of them at all. They’re just really standard and at times a caricature of what those not familiar with death metal expect it to be. Absolutely nothing about them them stands out at all. They’re not unlistenable but I wouldn’t describe them as good. Perhaps you could explain what you love so much about them? I’ve only heard their first 4 btw.

I just don’t get the appeal of them at all. They’re just really standard and at times a caricature of what those not familiar with death metal expect it to be. Absolutely nothing about them them stands out at all. They’re not unlistenable but I wouldn’t describe them as good. Perhaps you could explain what you love so much about them? I’ve only heard their first 4 btw.
You should check out Vile, Bloodthirst, and Kill. I don't like the post-Wretched Spawn Corpse sound, but have heard people say that Kill is their best, so if you don't like any of those, then it's safe to say that you don't like pretty much any era of the band.

Does anyone know where to find a Demented Ted CD for a reasonable price? The cheapest I can find is $25 after shipping

Y'know, I hear a lot of people describe them as "standard" or "generic", but I've never really heard any band sound like them, especially mid-era, which as I've said, is my favorite time period of the band. Well, not entirely true, I know Severe Torture and some others sound a like like early-Corpse, but I digress. I suppose it all depends on what you like; if you tend to err towards the more melody-oriented or traditional style of death metal, what I often mentally correlate with European bands, I could see how their early work could be unappealing, but for someone like me, who is very heavily rooted in brutal death metal, just pure, bludgeoning, guttural shit, I can't help but love it. My favorite Barnes album is EASILY Tomb of the Mutilated; it has great tone overall, excellent vocals, spicy riffs, etc. It's what brutal death metal should have sounded like in '92 or whatever. Definitely check out their mid-era stuff though, if Barnes-era has left you cold. I HIGHLY recommend Bloodthirst, the album that truly defines "death metal" for me. The riffs are varied, the whole thing is stripped to the bone of all excess, and it's scalpel fucking sharp. Some standout tracks for me would definitely be Sickening Metamorphosis, Ecstasy in Decay, or Pounded into Dust. And while you're listening, try to think of any band you can compare the sound directly to, because of all the literally hundreds of death metal bands I've heard, I've yet to find a single one that sounds like that album, and trust me, I'm looking, so if you do think of/find one, TELL ME!!! So yeah, that's about the best I can do to convince someone to give them a chance. If you want a more in-depth look at what is so great about them, or rather Bloodthirst in particular, check out this review that I think really sums it up.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Cannibal_Corpse/Bloodthirst/894/autothrall/192699

RE: Demented Ted, I was thinking Repulsive Echo would have some of the reissues still (that's where I got mine, came with a nifty little poster that's currently hanging in my kitchen hahaha), but it would appear they are sold out. Cheapest one I see one Discogs is just under $20 with shipping, coming from Spain.

EDIT: I also picked up a copy of Rottrevore's Iniquitous for only $10 shipped yesterday, that feels like quite a triumph. Incredible album!!!!!!

Last edited:
As far as the new Morbid Angel goes, I've only heard a couple songs from it. I did enjoy them quite a bit, but I'm also a pretty big Tucker fan. I like Gateways and Formulas more than anything they ever did with Vincent, outside of maybe Covenant. Glad to have him back in the fold, where he belongs. The albums he did with Warfather were really cool as well! I've always wished that MA would've recorded an album with Jared Anderson, dude is one of my musical idols.
I've also only heard the new MA only once and thought it was strong, but most of the response on that album is meh. But I have liked everything that they've done (sans the I album, which I have stricken from memory) and think that sometimes metal is graded on a curve, where classic material is expected each time from bands like Morbid Angel and anything less is crap, while an unknown band puts out a moderately-above-average album, and many talk about how it's fucking sick, etc

I have this weird thing where if an album's drum sound is off I have a lot of trouble getting into the music in general and even though I've only listened to the new Morbid Angel album a few times, the drums sound really overproduced and lifeless to me. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I will say that the new album at the very least is a sign of their direction back to making actually good death metal.

I was never a huge Morbid Angel nut anyways unlike a lot of death metal fans. I love Abominations of Desolation and I always felt like Blessed are the Sick was a dip in quality after Altars of Madness and Covenant was a return to form. (<-- apparently that's controversial.)

Y'know, I hear a lot of people describe them as "standard" or "generic", but I've never really heard any band sound like them, especially mid-era, which as I've said, is my favorite time period of the band. Well, not entirely true, I know Severe Torture and some others sound a like like early-Corpse, but I digress.

Exactly! Calling them "standard" or "generic" is an idiotic thing to do imo. Pre-The Bleeding Cannibal Corpse absolutely pushed the boundaries of death metal at that time (especially Butchered at Birth and Tomb of the Mutilated), hardly any death metal band could compete with them for sheer brutality, speed and technicality all rolled together.

That thousands of bands afterwards decided to copy them and drown the market in Cannibal Corpse-esque bands isn't their fault and to fail to differentiate between originators and acolytes is a mistake.

It wasn't really until Vile that the band decided to settle into some kind of formula/path and then they set about sharpening that style, so I can see why someone who isn't even especially fond of that kind of death metal to begin with, might look at Corpsegrinder-era Cannibal Corpse and think this is samey while also not being very interesting but for people who bought into that sound they settled on in the late 90's the subtle changes, nuances and differences album to album seem blatant and not generic.

Reactions: morguelord
Y'know, I hear a lot of people describe them as "standard" or "generic", but I've never really heard any band sound like them, especially mid-era, which as I've said, is my favorite time period of the band. Well, not entirely true, I know Severe Torture and some others sound a like like early-Corpse, but I digress. I suppose it all depends on what you like; if you tend to err towards the more melody-oriented or traditional style of death metal, what I often mentally correlate with European bands, I could see how their early work could be unappealing, but for someone like me, who is very heavily rooted in brutal death metal, just pure, bludgeoning, guttural shit, I can't help but love it. My favorite Barnes album is EASILY Tomb of the Mutilated; it has great tone overall, excellent vocals, spicy riffs, etc. It's what brutal death metal should have sounded like in '92 or whatever. Definitely check out their mid-era stuff though, if Barnes-era has left you cold. I HIGHLY recommend Bloodthirst, the album that truly defines "death metal" for me. The riffs are varied, the whole thing is stripped to the bone of all excess, and it's scalpel fucking sharp. Some standout tracks for me would definitely be Sickening Metamorphosis, Ecstasy in Decay, or Pounded into Dust. And while you're listening, try to think of any band you can compare the sound directly to, because of all the literally hundreds of death metal bands I've heard, I've yet to find a single one that sounds like that album, and trust me, I'm looking, so if you do think of/find one, TELL ME!!! So yeah, that's about the best I can do to convince someone to give them a chance. If you want a more in-depth look at what is so great about them, or rather Bloodthirst in particular, check out this review that I think really sums it up.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Cannibal_Corpse/Bloodthirst/894/autothrall/192699

RE: Demented Ted, I was thinking Repulsive Echo would have some of the reissues still (that's where I got mine, came with a nifty little poster that's currently hanging in my kitchen hahaha), but it would appear they are sold out. Cheapest one I see one Discogs is just under $20 with shipping, coming from Spain.

EDIT: I also picked up a copy of Rottrevore's Iniquitous for only $10 shipped yesterday, that feels like quite a triumph. Incredible album!!!!!!

autothrall is a great reviewer, kudos mate

Anyways, what is your final opinion on Kingdoms Disdained, guys? I personally didn't enjoy the album very much, it did nothing for me.

Missed this bit. Fucking nice find, I love that band! What did you think of that Hung by the Eyesockets EP?

Anyways, what is your final opinion on Kingdoms Disdained, guys? I personally didn't enjoy the album very much, it did nothing for me.

At this moment, I'd give it a 5.5/10 or a 6 if I'm feeling charitable. It's not really striking a chord with me yet but that could change.

I'm the same way about drums. I don't mind if the kicks are triggered, just don't make them SOUND triggered, which is all too common. Other than that, leave everything super-natural, don't go through and let a computer clean it up, let it stay human, that's what death metal is all about. I still need to hear the entire album, but I don't really see myself rushing out to buy it. I've got plenty of other things on my list. One of those things is this: Hellish God from Italy!! Good dudes playing heavily in the vein of Centurian, Abhorrence, Angelcorpse, etc., exactly the type of shit that I love. I'll be ordering a shirt and CD combo asap.

I haven't heard enough of that Rottrevore EP to give you much of a solid opinion it. Heard a song or two on the internet, remember liking it, but I need a copy for sure.

Reactions: CiG
I haven't heard enough of that Rottrevore EP to give you much of a solid opinion it. Heard a song or two on the internet, remember liking it, but I need a copy for sure.

I remember it sounding much more grindy or perhaps even brutal death metal but that's going by memory, I don't own it either.

On a different note, here's some of the death metal I'm looking forward to buying this year so far.

Highest importance:

Ataraxy - Where All Hope Fades
(Absolutely at the top of my potential AOTY pile right now, Spanish death metal done the good and dark way.)

Galvanizer - Sanguine Vigil
(Another of my most anticipated and potentially AOTY albums right now. Finnish deathgrind in the darkest way possible that only the Finns can truly produce. This band is fucking awesome.)

Rapture - Paroxysm of Hatred
(Death/thrash! This is another potential AOTY for me so far, I fucking love this stuff.)

Middle importance:

Inisans - Transition
(Massive sounding Swedish death metal, almost like a continuation of the first Morbus Chron album's sound or something.)

Dipygus - Long Pig Feast
(Goofy and primitive death metal, for fans of Autopsy but not in too obvious a way if that makes sense.)

Genocide Pact - Order of Torment
(Basically if Incantation and Immolation went to war with each other. Maybe some Skinless too)

Eskhaton - Omegalitheos
(Blasting and intense Australian death metal, hoping to see these guys live once the album is released and they start touring locally.)

Ectoplasma - Cavern of Foul Unbeings
(Old school Greek shit, kinda reminds me of a mixture of Autopsy, Unleashed and Grave or something.)

VoidCeremony - Foul Origins of Humanity
(This EP came out digitally in 2017 but it's finally getting a CD release this year. Progressive death metal with some black metal vibes.)

Cryptic Grave - Cryptic Grave
(French death metal which reminds me of an old Swedish demo band or something before melodicism took everything over. This came out digitally in 2017 and is getting its CD release soon. Singer reminds me of Johnny Hedlund mixed with Martin Van Drunen.)

Transcendence - Hour of the Summoning
(Another 2017 digital release finally getting a physical release. Dark and moody death metal from the US.)

Golgothan Remains - Perverse Offerings to the Void
(Crushing occult death metal in the vein of Incantation and Dead Congregation. Another Australian band I'm hoping to see tour their album. Some parts of this song remind me of Gorguts' Obscura.)

The Creatures from the Tomb - The Terryfying Menace
(The band's aesthetic made me think it would be some really goofy comedy metal but turns out it's actually really cool German deathgrind with a dark sound.)

Of Feather and Bone - Bestial Hymns of Perversion
(Grinding death metal annihilation. Like a mixture of Mental Funeral, Dawn of Possession and Mortal Throne of Nazarene or something.)

Least importance:

Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed
(We all know them, nothing needs to be said. Sounds killer so far!)

Revolting - Monolith Of Madness
(A cool combination of gory horror death metal with gurgly vocals and Swedeath melodies.)

Pestilence - Hadeon
(Another needs-no-explanation choice.)

Ossuarium - Calcified Trophies of Violence
(Portlandian death metal that has that ruthless 'lurking' feeling to it.)

Obscene - Sermon to the Snake
(For fans of Edge of Sanity, Asphyx, Demigod etc. Killer stuff.)

Cryptivore - Unseen Divinity
(Twisted-sounding deathgrind with an especially awesome drumming assault style.)

Rotted - Pestilent Tomb
(Plodding death metal from Illinois, kinda reminds me of 90's Broken Hope but less intense.)

Cosmic Void Ritual - Vitriol Tablet Instructions: Rehearsing Speeches For When You Die
(Despite the album title and band name this is some of the most bone-pulverizing knuckle-dragging death metal I've heard in ages, like a wall of sound and primitivism.)

Tu Carne - Acumulación de Cadáveres
(Crazy Spanish goregrind masters return with some shit that actually sounds as good as ever.)

Albums with no preview tracks yet:

Gruesome Stuff Relish - Cannibalized!
Cardiac Arrest - A Parallel Dimension of Despair
Memoriam - The Silent Vigil
Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality