Death Metal

So yeah, I ain't entirely into Death Metal.

But I recently heard some Ceremonial Oath and this shit kicks total fucking ass.

I really really need to get this. 'Arcane Path' was a great mix of brutal death with some unexpected symphonic and black elements. Solid songwriting the whole way through.
Yeah, you definitely need it. You should also look into Abolishment of Hate and Incursion, Jeff Lewis' projects.

www.jefflewis.ca

There's also supposed to be a more black metal-ish project that Dharok is doing, but I forget what it's called. He put some samples up on the Sympathy Myspace page, and they sounded great, but were taken down several months ago, unfortunately.:(

Finnish Death Metal is great no doubt, but I disagree with the sentiment that that scene has more quality works than Sweden. Maybe you could make the argument that they have a higher concentration of quality within their own context--but I would argue this is probably because they have less bands to begin with. Also, if we were to simply do a comparison of the quantity of quality releases from either country, I am quite confident that Sweden would trump Finland more than once over.

Edit: Speaking of Finnish Death Metal and Cartilage, I was just looking up some info on them and found the band to be linked with another death metal band called "Wings" who did release a full-length album called Diatribe in 1995. Is it worth checking out (or any of their material for that matter)?

I was going to say something similar to the above. I mean, Beyond Sanctorum and The Red in the Sky is Ours alone just about does it for me. It is undoubtedly true that the average Finnish Death Metal band is better than the average Swedish Death Metal band, but Sweden clearly wins in the number of good bands, and I think they win in the number of exceptional bands as well.

i'm undecided on this, i've heard way more swedish stuff than finnish stuff so it's kind of hard to compare

I think if you just want to compare the top releases from both contexts it makes it really tough.

On the one hand you have stuff like Slumber of Sullen Eyes, Nespithe, The Fragile Concept of Affection, Pyschostasia, A Leftover, Grey Misery, Dances from Left, etc. While on the other you have The Red in the Sky is Ours, Beyond Sanctorum, Like an Everflowing Stream, A Velvet Creation, The Nocturnal Silence, Left Hand Path, Dark Recollections, You'll Never See, Spiritually Uncontrolled Art, In the Embrace of Evil, Sumerian Cry, etc.

Looking at it now, I think Sweden wins, but only slightly. Still, tough choice.

I actually just came across a promo copy of The Fragile Concept of Affection on eBay. How is the Altar side of the album?

One shouldn't forget Purtenance when talking about Finnish deathmetal.

I actually just came across a promo copy of The Fragile Concept of Affection on eBay. How is the Altar side of the album?

I just listened to it for the first time in a while and it's really cool. Awesome guitar tone, as GoD mentioned - reminds me a lot of Amorphis' Privilege of Evil. Utterly inferior to Cartilage, however.

As far as the Sweden versus Finland debate goes, I agree that it's pretty tough. One thing I love about Finnish death metal is the utter darkness and mystical atmosphere a lot of the bands had. Very few Swedish bands can compare with the sheer malevolent atmosphere of early Amorphis, Cartilage, Demigod and Demilich. It's a shame, a lot of Swedish bands had this sound in their demo stage but completely lost it by their debut album (Crypt of Kerberos is a fine example, their demos completely trump World of Myths) or didn't even manage to release a full-length (Darkified, Toxaemia, to name a few).