Depressive music and its themes/message - thoughts...

Does depressive music create a negative outlook on life?

• Yes

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 70.5%
  • pfft, no idea...maybe

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
^ So, you hate The Matrix then? There's some OK sci-fi flicks, but generally I tend to stay away from them.

:lol: The Neverending Story will ALWAYS be a movie I adore. It's one of those things, really - you grow up with it, and it kinda sticks with ya (I even bought it on DVD.) I think that's the only Fantasy film I own. Ahhh, good 'ol nostalgia. :) I feel happy already!

I'm not that big on Star Wars...but it can shit all over LOTR. And The Matrix is boring as hell. I'm more into Zombie/Old Horror, Dark Comedies, and Action movies.

*fart*

I think I'm at the highest point of depression I've ever been in and I have work in one hour.

8 fucking hours of hell!

And my head feels like it's gonna blow.

But...Discouraged Ones is on and I wish I could be locked in a room and listen to this til I die of starvation.

I think you are fucked up.

So if you too get much into depression, you've been starting weak and pointless every moment. Depression has failed your strenght and this turn you to regression, is more awful like pain, prefer don't playing long with strong emotions.

Hmm.. reading your stuff is fun, actually :)

And to the main subject.. I am a happy person actually. I love listening to Katatonia, i know the stuff is depressive but it makes me feel good actually, the atmoshpere the melodies create are magical and wonderful, they make something that only two bands can do. With Opeth. These two bands make me feel really happy and take me to different worlds.. really, man. I love this thing the most in these two bands. I don't care if the stuff is depressive or not.

And depressive music in general is not my type really. I mean i used to listen to doom metal but not anymore cuz i find some of them boring. I used to listen to My Dying Bride. Still a good band i think, i'm gonna listen to their latest record sometime. Some gothic music is good too like Lacrimosa.

Anyways if you let the message, lyrics, concept of the depressive music to your life and take it personally, the mood and all that is gonna start to turn you into an unhappy person maybe. That is a big chance. Other than that if you just let the rhythm and soul of the music flow through you, let it take you to some other world with it's melodies(like Katatonia and Opeth) you'll stay as a happy person and live well :)

I say no... For me, depressive music is a way to deal with the negative feelings in life. It makes me feel that I'm able to confront them face to face. It also allows me to feel connected to the person who wrote the music and understand that other people have issues too.

For extremely upbeat music.. It works in some occasiotions, like when you are drinking beer with your buddies at some beach :lol: But usually, happy music makes me feel that I'm trying to escape my problems. That's why I can't listen to it alone. And I don't mean I have problems all the time, it's just that this is the way I used to listen to music as a therapeutic method and it has now applied to my taste in music in general.

And also, none of my friends who listen to depressive music mostly have any real, tragic problems in life. Well ofcourse we all have some but what I meant that some friends of mine who listen to upbeat pop and rap and stuff have real, visible problems, such as criminal records and drug problems.

I'm a really positive, friendly and easy-going type of guy irl. Of course that I have shit moments like everyone else, and those who say they're happy all the time are full of shit imo. A band like Katatonia just expresses those uncomfortable, desperate moments that we all go through in life at some point, but it doesn't mean that sadness must be perpetual or anything like that, because feeling sad is fucking horrible, although it is a feeling that teaches you incredibly valuable things. If anything Kat's music should make one feel better just for the honest emotion and beauty that it conveys.

muh 2 cent$

/faggot rant