Derelict Herds...

Taotrac

Aug 30, 2006
Personally, I love this track. I find it painful to listen to Watershed without it, somehow, to me, this track completes the albulm perfectly. The subject of a freind dying (portrayed in the albulm artwork), the experimental keyboards (which kind of reoccurs through the albulm), the amazing riff, just the general whole song, sounds perfect for Watershed, and SHOULD have been included on the whole thing, and made the same quality. It is so unlike Opeth to make the bonus song "low quality".

That said, I really wish for a great quality version of it. Its not the dvd rip's fault, the song on the dvd just sounds sucky and quiet. The track was included with the LP Watershed, and it made me really curious if the song on there was a better sounding version of it/louder and more full. Does anyone know?

If not, someone, who's really good at sound editing, should edit the song and try to make it sound up to par with the rest of the albulm, so it doesn't seem like a bonus track. =D (and p.s. upload it on here or somewhere) I've tried it, and even adding a bit of distortion does wonders, but I don't know anything about sound editing....but i know enough to recognize that the song's dynamic sound seems compressed (basiclly, it sounds like something from 1994)

I think they should do a bonus song collection album.

Edit: 2CD one with the bonuses and one with cover songs.

Edit2: And it should include the infinites!

I hate think that some Opeth fans might not have heard Patterns 2...amazing amazing song...they coulda even released it on damnation and itd have fit perfectly....

I hate think that some Opeth fans might not have heard Patterns 2...amazing amazing song...they coulda even released it on damnation and itd have fit perfectly....

Nothing can be perfect, Imo they should have left Isolation Years out and put it on Watershed...

Personally, I love this track. I find it painful to listen to Watershed without it, somehow, to me, this track completes the albulm perfectly. The subject of a freind dying (portrayed in the albulm artwork), the experimental keyboards (which kind of reoccurs through the albulm), the amazing riff, just the general whole song, sounds perfect for Watershed, and SHOULD have been included on the whole thing, and made the same quality. It is so unlike Opeth to make the bonus song "low quality".

That said, I really wish for a great quality version of it. Its not the dvd rip's fault, the song on the dvd just sounds sucky and quiet. The track was included with the LP Watershed, and it made me really curious if the song on there was a better sounding version of it/louder and more full. Does anyone know?

If not, someone, who's really good at sound editing, should edit the song and try to make it sound up to par with the rest of the albulm, so it doesn't seem like a bonus track. =D (and p.s. upload it on here or somewhere) I've tried it, and even adding a bit of distortion does wonders, but I don't know anything about sound editing....but i know enough to recognize that the song's dynamic sound seems compressed (basiclly, it sounds like something from 1994)

Buy the normal japanese one and you have the song as track 8 on the CD.
On ebay you can find the japanese cd.

They should just make a single CD with all 10 tracks from BWP, I hate having to put in a second CD to listen to the whole thing.

Agreed on Isolation Years, then maybe Mike could have made the whole concept thing on GR happen.

Nothing can be perfect, Imo they should have left Isolation Years out and put it on Watershed...

Agreed on Isolation Years, then maybe Mike could have made the whole concept thing on GR happen.

I disagree.
I think it would feel a bit "uncomfortable" on WS.

Maybe its because im just used to it being on GR?.
I dunno.

I just cant imagine it and find it a bit strange thinking about it.

As for Derelict Herds, Yes its a nice track, but what are the reasons for it not being on the original release anyway?

I can easily imagine Isolation Years on Watershed.

And Sdbts and Piti2 are not part of Bwp, they're more like a separate "mini album" to me. :rolleyes:
(though I wouldn't mind if they did a version with them added onto the end of the album.)

I think it's after all a good thing that Opeth are productive enough to leave a song like Derelict Herds from the album. And still, the main thing is that at least it's been published.

I think it's after all a good thing that Opeth are productive enough to leave a song like Derelict Herds from the album. And still, the main thing is that at least it's been published.

Yeah, the fact that it is available is the main thing - and it is not like it is uber-rare either.

Personally I think it may have made Watershed a tad too long - at least if it was part of the standard release. Nothing worse than an overlong album, even if the songs are great.

Hex Omega is such a perfect song to end on to, I don't know where Derelict would fit.

It is a fantastic song though.

Porcelain Heart should be the bonus track! Derelict Herds is way better than that song. Everytime I get to Porcelain Heart I think like "Bah now Ill have to wait 8 min for Hessian Peel". It's not a bad song, it's just not at the same level as the other songs.

Exactly. If you were to switch "Porcelain Heart" and "Derelict Herds," Watershed would be more or less perfect. That's actually what I ended up doing on my playlists.

I agree by switching Porcelain Heart out with Derelict Herds!
Everytime i get to PH i switch song, beacause I don't like it at all. Watershed is almost perfect, PH is the only flaw for me. sorry.

Neither do I understand why Derelict Herds were left of, it certainly don't sound like a b-side to me, in fact its one of my favourites from the watershed-era.