Derelict Herds...

Honestly, every time I listen to the song, I think of Watershed's booklet artwork.

Derelict Herds just completes the ensamble for me though. To me, Watershed as a whole gives me that 'trippy hippy other worldly' type feel. Every song, there's something in it that gives me that feeling. Most of Opeths albulms have a more serious feel, and kinda a exact location (ex. Still Life = Medieval Times) but Watershed is just experimental and doesn't seem to know where its at, like the albulm itself if based in a dream.

And derelict herds just makes it more dream like.

With that said, I think Opeth could have worked on the artwork with Travis a bit harder, and made the whole cd just a little more focused on this aspect, if its what Opeth were going for.

Okay, don't wanna sound like a spelling-Nazi or anything, but the word is "album", with only one "l".

Sorry, that's just been bugging me.

And to keep this post somewhat on topic, I think that DH fits in very well with Watershed, and I wouldn't dream of listening to Watershed without it included. I'm very glad the vinyl came with the song on there.

Its an okay song, but I see why they didn't include it on the original issue. It is just too weird and not spectacular at all. I'm glad that Per got his first writing credit however.:):kickass:

So has anyone attempted editing the song's sound yet? When you open it in a sound editor, it looks very 'compressed' unlike normal songs (you'll see when you open it up). Looks like a very simple step could have been done in production that woulda made it sound normal....but yeah. It'd be cool if someone here might attempt normalizing it.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead (but oh well its my thread) anyway I was still wondering if there's anyone out there who has any program that can edit the sound of songs really well (like Nero, which is what I have) who really knows what they're doing, to try to bring out the dynamics in Derelict Herds. Like I said, if you open it up in a editor, it's ranges are very compressed, unlike all the rest of the songs. Some simple distortion does wonders, but I feel there's probably something I don't know how to do that could get it to sound really just like all the rest of the songs.

And if you can't upload it on here, maybe give me the link in a PM. (Don't worry about me having the album, I bought the special edition, mainly for this song :rofl:) but like I said, the quality kinda sucks so ya....idk, I think alotta people would love to have a better version of it!

I'm probabbly the only guy in whole forum who thinks that porcelain heart its an amazing song.....

I think Derelict herds it's good, not as good as the othe seven songs before, but a good song after all.

By the way, hi, i'm kind of new in the opeth forum

I actually really enjoy Derelict Herds and think it fits in perfectly with the album... Great for the concept. Very dream-like...

With the whole "low quality" problem... I'm not sure if anyone is interested in cleaning it up. Better to just wait for a re-issue. I'll be looking forward to that.

And being on the whole Watershed topic... I think Hessian Peel is such an amazing song...

Whenever I physically say "Derlict Herds," it sounds like "Derelict Hurrr-".

Just thought I'd share.