Difference between thrash and speed?

TylerTheNuke

I have eaten you
May 21, 2005
Iowan Corn Fields, corn pwns Korn btw
Excuse me for being a noob, but what is the difference? It is so confusing, I've looked it up, and I get a different response on different sites, and even the bands don't seem be be consistantly one or the other. one site (anus) even said that thrash metal doesn't exist and that it is a media fabrication!

I can't be bothered to answer but I finally figured out a couple of days ago that with the Speed/Thrash issue, ANUS refers to what the labels originally meant rather than their modern connotations.

there is no difference, thats why some bands are called thrash/speed metal or one or the other.

There is a difference, I just don't feel like addressing this topic for the millionth time.

polarity3 said:
I can't be bothered to answer but I finally figured out a couple of days ago that with the Speed/Thrash issue, ANUS refers to what the labels originally meant rather than their modern connotations.

And actually that's not entirely true, otherwise Helloween would be Death Metal, Metallica would be Power Metal, etc. Labels meant jack shit back then, and modern Thrash Metal was called Thrash just as much as it was called Speed. It's all really jumbled, and was basically whatever someone felt like calling a certain band at the time.

Would something like Painkiller be speed metal ?. Not straight up forward traditional metal but not thrash in my eyes.

The Greys - yes.

OP - ignore anything Anus says relating to the existence, quality, or definition of thrash/speed metal. Prozak has his own little universe in which every practical definition of the past 20 years is thrown out the window because, um, he can. Generally, speed metal is classic heavy metal played really fast, while thrash merges punk influences, focuses more on rhythm guitar instead of lead, and tends to have very staccato riffing.

Okay, I think that tharsh is more heavy type of metal than speed, I don't know if you regonize a finnish bands called Stratovarius and Sonata arctica, but they are good examples on what speed metal is. And I think that keyboards are included in speed pretty often, and I have never heard thrash metal that haves that fucking annoying instrument.

cfh said:
Okay, I think that tharsh is more heavy type of metal than speed, I don't know if you regonize a finnish bands called Stratovarius and Sonata arctica, but they are good examples on what speed metal is. And I think that keyboards are included in speed pretty often, and I have never heard thrash metal that haves that fucking annoying instrument.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That's fucking Power Metal you neanderthal. You're clearly not familiar with Speed Metal.

TylerTheNuke said:
Okay, this helps a lot. so thrash is like a punkier/heavier speed metal? I've heard painkiller, so I can sort of see what speed metal is, I'll have to check out those others. I thought helloween was power metal?

Their first album ONLY, Walls Of Jericho, is Speed Metal. As is Stormwarrior, early Agent Steel, Abattoir, etc.

i tend to say that blind guardian's first album is speed metal just so i dont have to admit to listening to german power metal about orcs dragons and kings

EDIT: and also because its a speed metal album prettymuch

Dodens Grav said:
Their first album ONLY, Walls Of Jericho, is Speed Metal. As is Stormwarrior, early Agent Steel, Abattoir, etc.

I thought Walls of Jericho was considered a metalcore band... or you meant that Walls of Jericho's first album was speedmetal and not their later stuff? ... :erk:

Sigh.... He's talking about Helloween's "Walls of Jericho". Fuck, why do I know that!?

Yes, Erik, Blid Guardian's first two albums are Speed Metal, and the proceeding three albums all are heavily influenced by Speed Metal as well, decreasing with each album.