Thrash vs. Speed

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
Now that I think about it, speed metal is more or less a prototype of thrash which is more closely tied to traditional heavy metal than thrash.
^this guy got it right.

speed metal = judas priest
thrash = slayer

there's much of a difference between the two... starting with the vocals.

I prefer thrash, but I could probably get into more speed. Blind Guardian I already like and Helloween sounds like another good band to try.

Necuratul said:
Of course, but using this separation today is rather useful. Of course, a lot of bands that are still considered "Thrash" actually lean quite a bit to the "Speed" side, such as Megadeth and Anthrax, and a lot of Speed Metal bands had their moments of Thrash at some points in their material, but this can only be differentiated today. They did both have a common evolution, but whereas one group further developed from the Traditional Metal school of thought, the other borrowed from Punk and gradually became more and more extreme.

Not your finest post. Anthrax - speed metal? (Which I also dispute as a seperate genre) - are you sure?

Just like the vast majority of the early "Thrash" bands, they had a shitload of Speed Metal in their sound.

Necuratul said:
Just like the vast majority of the early "Thrash" bands, they had a shitload of Speed Metal in their sound.

Mate, the older folks in this thread have nailed the thing on the head - Speed metal, as anythbing other than a non-defined term slung about by the shit metal mags of the time - is nothing but a retrospectively contrived genre.

I refuse to acknowledge it, and refute it - especially as it is particularly poorly defined. Anything that can contain both Motorhead and Judas Priest other than the catch all of Heavy Metal is pretty useless.

The only Judas Priest that is considered even remotely Speed Metal is Painkiller. You think that Motorhead is Thrash anyway so I'm not sure why I should consider listening to you on this subject. And no shit it's retrospectively contrived. Just like the rest of the genres before they were cemented into a particular sound.

Necuratul said:
The only Judas Priest that is considered even remotely Speed Metal is Painkiller. You think that Motorhead is Thrash anyway so I'm not sure why I should consider listening to you on this subject. And no shit it's retrospectively contrived. Just like the rest of the genres before they were cemented into a particular sound.

I think Motorhead are pregenitors of Thrash, not thrash themselves, actually. I don't think you'll find that this is an ouragious viewpoint. Painkiller really isn't in my understanding of what people would consider Speed metal to be.

To be honest, I've yet to hear a supposed "Speed metal" album that couldn't comfortably be defined in another genre - in which case - why bother with such a useless term?

So Thrash Lite is more of a genre than Speed? Fuck this, I'm going back to sleep.

The point is Dodey old buddy, old pal - why do we need Speed as a term? All of the usual suspects that are held up as Speed metal albums are either thrash or power metal prototypes - and Helloween, as much as you might disagree with me, are no exception.

Speed metal, if it ever existed, is a useless term.

I just think it's easier to put bands like Motorhead and Venom under speed metal because they just don't sound like the average thrash band and have a more old school "heavy metal" feel to them.