Thrash vs. Speed

Carcassian said:
The point is Dodey old buddy, old pal - why do we need Speed as a term? All of the usual suspects that are held up as Speed metal albums are either thrash or power metal prototypes - and Helloween, as much as you might disagree with me, are no exception.

Speed metal, if it ever existed, is a useless term.

No offense, but your ears have gone over the years if you can't decipher Power, Speed, and Thrash Metal from one another.

Necuratul said:
No offense, but your ears have gone over the years if you can't decipher Power, Speed, and Thrash Metal from one another.

No offence taken. I can discern between thrash and power just fine, thanks. Speed metal passes me by, I suppose because IT DOESN'T FUCKING EXIST. :kickass:

Rush aren't metal mate - I was just joshing on my old chum Dodens earlier, but you can't seriously consider Rush to be metal, surely ?

Metal imo is bleak/about being so i'm not seeing how rush influenced metal or is one of the first or a 'father' of metal music.

Most of the people that use the term speed metal these days are people who don't listen to metal, and use it to describe anything heavier that Metallica's black album and lighter than death metal (which some of them call speed metal as well).

MasterOLightning said:
Rush is massively influential. They are the only classic rock band I don't find totally tired and stale. Most of their good material doesn't sound dated at all.

Yes and Jethro Tull also massively influence numerous bands.

Life Sucks said:
Most of the people that use the term speed metal these days are people who don't listen to metal, and use it to describe anything heavier that Metallica's black album and lighter than death metal (which some of them call speed metal as well).

There's some truth to that. I remember I was talking to one of my philosophy professors and he looked at my Burzum shirt and asked "What is that? Is it speed metal?" I had to explain to him what Norwegian black metal is. Oh well, the guy knows a hell of a lot about classical music.

edit: he's also black so of course I didn't tell him everything about bm or Burzum.