Thrash vs. Speed

Dec 23, 2005
Sometimes it can be hard to tell between thrash and speed metal (assuming you think there's a difference). There's no doubt that motorhead sounds different than, say, Exodus or Destruction. What do you guys think differentiates speed from thrash?

IMO they are very much so alike, thats why i hate narrowing it down to stupid sub genres unless ofcourse it was lets say death metal and grindcore

one could say dragonforce is speed and another could disagree...

Now that I think about it, speed metal is more or less a prototype of thrash which is more closely tied to traditional heavy metal than thrash.

Amarantus said:
Who cares anyways. Labels are so fucking stupid. It's metal, listen and enjoy.

see people allways say that but when u here moldic death metal, people allways think crap like gothinburg metal not bands like black dathlia murder(not best way of putting it) or other bands that are moldic that are somewhat interesting

i am just saying that many people do her a genre/sub-genre and eather say they will try the music or not. Most people do that. Like do like any metalcore bands(i dont mean hot topic ones, i mean ones that really do fuse hardcore and metal togather)

As I see it, the Speed Metal designation grew from Thrash as bands began to ratchet up the speed factor. Back in "the day" an often ridiculously high level of importance was placed upon the 'speed' of a band, that would seem silly today. The faster they became the more common the "Speed" designation became. To my ear (and as it was understood back in the later - 80's, etc.) Thrash and Speed metal really are one and the same musically, though some took the 'Speed' title as they rarely palyed at any but the fastest tempos. From the 80's forward, we always used these terms interchangably - if anyone has made a real distinction between the two, it is something of a revisionist phenomenon. Then again, we never refered to Venom, Bathory or Celtic Frost as 'Black Metal' either. Many of these designations have technically been grafted on long after the fact.

I thought that speed was NWOBH/trad. metal that was played much faster, while thrash had a hardcore/punk influence not found in speed metal. Melody is also more important to speed metal, and especially in the vocals. Some people (anus.com) place a tremendous amount of importance on the hardcore/punk influence to the point that what we usually consider crossover is what they consider thrash. Anything with a lesser hardcore influence falls into the speed metal category. I don't think very many people buy that definition though.

I also listen to little speed and thrash, so don't rape me for a flaw in that reply.

MasterOLightning said:
I thought that speed was NWOBH/trad. metal that was played much faster, while thrash had a hardcore/punk influence not found in speed metal. Melody is also more important to speed metal, and especially in the vocals. Some people (anus.com) place a tremendous amount of importance on the hardcore/punk influence to the point that what we usually consider crossover is what they consider thrash. Anything with a lesser hardcore influence falls into the speed metal category. I don't think very many people buy that definition.

I find those 'ANUS' Speed and Thrash definitions puzzling. Given that as a Teenager in the mid 80's I lived and breathed Thrash/Speed metal I find their classifications completely at odds with what we knew as Thrash/Speed at the time. As you stated, that which they are calling Thrash was universally called Crossover and what they term Speed generally fell under the Thrash umbrella(If Kreator is not Thrash then what is?) Thrash was a pretty "big-tent" category, I'll concede. Everything from Anthrax to Sodom gets tossed in there - but so it was back then really.
As for Speed being more melodic ala NWOBHM I dunno...I never heard it used that way - but who knows. For what it's worth I grew up near New York City and was very active in the whole metal 'scene' and I still wonder from where some of these modern designations originate - it could be a regional or geographical difference in terminology I suppose. These category debates are always problematic anyway...

OldScratch said:
From the 80's forward, we always used these terms interchangably - if anyone has made a real distinction between the two, it is something of a revisionist phenomenon. Then again, we never refered to Venom, Bathory or Celtic Frost as 'Black Metal' either. Many of these designations have technically been grafted on long after the fact.

Of course, but using this separation today is rather useful. Of course, a lot of bands that are still considered "Thrash" actually lean quite a bit to the "Speed" side, such as Megadeth and Anthrax, and a lot of Speed Metal bands had their moments of Thrash at some points in their material, but this can only be differentiated today. They did both have a common evolution, but whereas one group further developed from the Traditional Metal school of thought, the other borrowed from Punk and gradually became more and more extreme.

im split on the subject.

i dont like the idea of the existence of "speed metal" as a disticnt genre. i think its more or less a style of "less extreme" or "more pallatable" thrash, but still thrash nonetheless. although, if someone was to ask me whether i thought pantera's cfh was thrash , i wouldnt jump at the chance to say yes. and then perhaps you could begin to argue such albums are "speed metal".

:\

There was as much separation between Speed Metal and Thrash Metal in the mid-late 80s as there was between Thrash Metal and Death Metal.

To me, speed metal has always been punkish traditional and/or thrash metal ala Venom, Motorhead, etc. or sometimes refers to bands that are kind of a mix of power and thrash metal, like Heathen (basically melodic thrash, I guess).

I grew up in the 80's... so don't know how many of you did... most of what you know for the ones who didn't grow up in the 80's you get from the media/internet nowadays... but back then "speed metal" was a creation of the metal magazines of back then like circus, hit parader etc.. was basically just a thrash band that played a little faster and didn't have any or much slow parts... but the fans and me included just called them thrash... speed metal I always thought was a stupid term... Slayer and Megadeth were two bands that were put under that label back then... I never really heard any fan at any of the shows use the term speed metal back in the 80's... and I saw alot of thrash/speed metal bands back then since i used to go to Sundance in Bayshore, Long Island/NY ...