Difference between thrash and speed?

Dodens Grav said:
Yes, Erik, Blid Guardian's first two albums are Speed Metal, and the proceeding three albums all are heavily influenced by Speed Metal as well, decreasing with each album.
ya but the line is getting real thin between speed and power metal when talking blind guardian

different with something like EXCITER

i guess bg is "EPIC SPEED METAL" ×D ya more ridiculous sub geners

lol, I hope the posts I believed are the right ones

If that means Dodens Grav, Erik and Pyrus, then you believed the right ones.

Make sure to get your genres right, or the genre police will come and arrest you!

Make sure not to discuss about some "stupid" subject, because discussion police will come and blame you for genre-masterbation.

If you think Kreator and Motorhead are the same thing, then you shouldn't be listening to Metal.

If you think Kreator and Motorhead are the same thing, then you shouldn't be listening to Metal.

He can listen to it all he wants for i care, but not to ever mention anything about it.

Could old Iron Maiden also be considered speed metal even though it's NWOBHM ?

Is Motorhead 'Ace of Spades' speedmetal ?. It does have a 70's stoner hippy vibe regardless but i'd consider it speedmetal.

Kreator is thrash and from what I can tell thrash speedmetal are different more than just slighly.

The Greys said:

Is Motorhead 'Ace of Spades' speedmetal ?. It does have a 70's stoner hippy vibe regardless but i'd consider it speedmetal.

Kreator is thrash and from what I can tell thrash speedmetal are different more than just slighly.

It is very speedy indeed, but it's more of a predecessor to Power Metal than Speed Metal, to my ears anyway.

Yes, albeit the earliest stages of Speed Metal.

Yes.

Pyrus said:
The Greys gets a cookie!

SWEET!

:headbang:

cookie.jpg

You've just got to listen to metal a lot to make the distinction.
Thrash and Speed is something you just kinda "feel for".
As a simple example, a lot of people consider Slayer a Speed Metal band,
but occasionaly thrash. Others consider Megadeth a thrash band, and
rarely call it Speed metal.
Basically, thrash has more chunkier riffs with some mid-tempo headbanging
momemts, and Speed is composed of mostly one-stringed treble riffs.
But that is just making a huge general statement so just
listen to a bunch of metal and you'll eventually get it.

By the way, Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica and new Helloween,
are powermetal. When the vocalist sounds like a 12-year old girl, no matter how fast you're playing, its power metal.

The Greys said:

YES. Greys, keep going and you will gain everyone's respect back.

Look how far he's come... :oops: :oops: :oops:

From my understanding of it, thrash is heavier, dirtier sounding, more aggressive speed metal. Speed metal often sounds like lighter, cleaner, stripped down thrash (Running Wild, early Bind Guardian, Judas Priest - Painkiller, Grave Digger come to mind). Regardless, I hate the term speed metal, since it is a term that is often used by people who don't listen to metal at all to describe anything heavier than Metallica's black album.

The Greys said:
Maiden have some songs that border on speed metal (BAAACK IN THE VILLAGE AGAIN IN THE VILLAGE I-I-I'M BACK IN THE VILLAGE AGAAAAAAAAAAAIN) but generally: not really, no