Do themes such as Satanism or Anti-Christianity Affect Your Metal Preferences?

Pull The Plug said:
To be honest, you miss out on heaps of great music being like that. There aren't a hell of a lot bands that have great lyrics, but there are many with more than adequate music.

The day I make lyrics an important part of my musical interest is the day I stop listening to music.
I just got pwnt.
I'll look around for a good gore band to include in my next slew of downloads.

Lyrics about those subjects don't bother me at all. I think that they can be written well, or they can be infantile. I'm not a practicing Christian, but I'm most definitely not a satanist, either. So I'm impartial to satanic/anti-religious lyrics.

The thing I like about Satanic lyrics is the emphasis on individuality and self empowerment, things which I very much try to adhere to. Other than that it's just enjoyable but obviously untrue.

As for my beliefs I am an atheist and proud of it. I do not hate christianity although I vehemently disagree with it on numerous issues. However like as always happens their "moral" objections and silly notions will eventually be eroded by the unending millstone of reality.

I'm not really phased by lyrics or themes. The only lyrical themes that really annoy me are the ones 'We are Satanic. Kill all Christains; And be afraid' Most of it's done make $ by lighting up controversy and getting kiddies to rebel and by their records, hence becoming trendy shit.

The Greys said:
I just care about music and the way it sounds. I'm not a christian regardless and don't want to here about christianity. I'm not saying I would refuse to listen to a christian band if they were genuinly good, but would not read the lyrics. I do not get into music based on lyrics. I just happen to get into bands that are pessimistic or anti-religion. Being pessimistic not putting faith into anything myself can sense that with music.

I think music sounds the way it does from how someone feels and their heritage which is why christians don't make music that sounds good to me because I or the people I listen to making music have no christian background. Christian bands tend to sound a certain way. The lyrics are not just alone why I don't listen to christian bands. I can tell a bands religion by music. I can tell when a band does not believe. I tend to listen to bands that are athiests or against religion because the music feels how I feel towards life. This is how I know my views are similiar and relate. Music is about freedom which is something religion prevents.
That's all a bunch of nonsense. The bands I listed in the recently posted white metal thread (I despise that term, as it is technically only used to describe bands like Stryper) most certainly do not sound like your misconception of what Christian bands are "supposed to sound like.":rolleyes:

Anyways, I am a Christian, although I do not see the need to associate myself with any particular denomination since they are basically formed on very minor differences, like how baptism should be performed or whether or not to use actual wine for communion. I listen to whatever music I find enjoyable, regardless of lyrical content.

Montu Sekhmet said:
Multi-part question here.

-What are your views on the above topics in metal? For me, if the music is good I'm good. But sometimes It gets a little too extreme for me, with bands like Dark Funeral, whose music I can listen too.

-Also, do you listen to metal for those things? Alot of extreme metalheads listen to Satanism for the message.

-Lastly, if you do not believe in organized religon or God, what are your views on the matter?

1. Satanism/anti-christianity has virtually no effect on whether I like the band or not. Sometimes I find it mildly entertaining in a childish teenage sort of way (think early Slayer and Mercyful Fate) and sometimes its so over the top that its obnoxious (think Vital Remains). Overall if I dig the music the lyrics have little importance for me.
2. No I don't listen to metal for satanism. Though occasionally it can be entertaining.
3. I'm pretty much an agnostic who feels organized religion and other superstitions are thoroughly dangerous and are retarding the human race's progress towards knowledge.

I tend to think the whole Satanism in metal thing is rather funny really, I mean Glen Benton surely is just having a lend, isn't he? It seems to be more of a 'fuck you' to society and organised religion than actual Satanic beliefs. And if they are real practising Satanists, I'd probably find it even funnier. I caertainly don't listen to music for the lyrics, nor do I ever get offended by them.

One of my fave albums of the last few years is "O'God...the Aftermath" by Norma Jean, and they're apparently a Christian band. I couldn't believe it when I found out they were Christian, and to be very honest it put me off them a tad. But they do it in a very non-preachy way, so it doesn't bother me too much.

And as for the last question, I'm Atheist all the way. The idea of our 'souls' doing anything after we're dead is just our selfish human way of thinking that we're more important in the big scheme of things than we really are.

Montu Sekhmet said:

-What are your views on the above topics in metal? For me, if the music is good I'm good. But sometimes It gets a little too extreme for me, with bands like Dark Funeral, whose music I can listen too.

-Also, do you listen to metal for those things? Alot of extreme metalheads listen to Satanism for the message.

-Lastly, if you do not believe in organized religon or God, what are your views on the matter?

1. Lyrics - no matter how graphic - don't offend me. Unless a band comes out with a song using my name and talking about my mother being a whore.
2. I don't necessarily prefer bands that are Satanic over bands that aren't. I actually prefer lyrics that are theologically ambiguous.
3. Being an atheist, I can take or leave Satanic lyrics. I'm more concerned with the quality of the writing, whether or not it's an interesting piece of poetry/prose. For example, Ihsahn writes some good Satanic lyrics, while Glenn Benton... eh, not so much.

P.S.: A little off topic rant: I find the new trend of Evangelical Christianity to be the most offensive. It's not even religion. The idea that as long as you accept Christ as your lord and savior, then you are guaranteed a spot in heaven spiritually irresponsible. Where's the accountability? Christians used to live by a strict set of morals, but now they decide that morality is inconvenient, so they eliminate that from the equation. If there is a heaven, I doubt they let in every murderer/rapist/pedophile/thief that praises the name of Jesus.

messakin said:
when i say catholic by default what i mean is thats what i was as a child, i went to sunday school and everything, but i never finished my conformation. I saw a lot of fucked up shit in my early teens and went through alot, so at where i'm at in life right now i have no religion but i know if i died tomorrow my messican ass family will give a catholic funeral and i'll be remembered as a catholic. :cry:
I'm similar to you except I was raised Baptist but am now an atheist but though my family knows I'm an atheist they'd probably have a Baptist funeral for me if I died today.
1. I don't care what the lyrical content is, if it's good I'll listen to it whether it's religious or irreligious.
2. No, I don't have a preference in Satanic music, most bands who have Satanic lyrics are atheists or agnostics anyways, except for Glen Benton, I have no idea what he is. :) The interview I read with im is cloudy as to what his religious preference is, he seems like a true Satanist though. Here is the link. http://www.theroc.org/roc-mag/textarch/roc-11/roc11-10.htm

Montu Sekhmet said:

Funny you say that and have an Anaal Nathrakh avatar.

As for me, if it sounds good it's good. That's what good means.

My feelings are mixed on this issue. Like most here (and probably most metalheads, for that matter), music comes first, and I can acknowledge good music regardless of lyrical content. But in the final evaluation, I frequently do not separate the message from the music.

Do satanic or anti-Christian lyrics affect my tastes? No, not in the least. I was an avowed atheist before I got into metal, and I suppose it could be argued that those beliefs steered me towards a genre of music so accepting of them. But it ultimately musn't have mattered much, as very few of the first metal bands I got into were particularly satanic or religious at all. I was also much more of a guitar geek then than I am now, so I'm positive my pursuits were always more music-driven.

But that doesn't mean lyrical themes in general won't affect my feelings toward a band. It's just that the overwhelming majority of bands have lyrics towards which I'm either supportive or relatively apathetic, so it's not something I grapple with very often. I'm not a Christian, and I generally prefer not to hear lyrics with such a message in my music. But I recognize that there are bands like that (Antestor, Phlebotomized, Vomitorial Corpulence) that are unique or at least above average. But for most of these acts, there are many more with more "typical metal themes" whose music is as good or better, and overall I don't support or invest in Christian bands because of this.

But that certainly isn't a hard, fast rule, and my attitude has shifted over time, enough so that I now own a few Christian metal albums. I think I used to be like The Greys in that I felt Christian metal had a distinct sound. Ultimately, that was really just the power of suggestion and I don't feel this way at all anymore. Had I not been informed, I wouldn't have guessed the aforementioned bands' religious views just by the music. Moreover, these days I have more respect for those bands for going against the grain and standing up for their beliefs in a scene where espousing pro-God is often frowned-upon or ridiculed.