Do themes such as Satanism or Anti-Christianity Affect Your Metal Preferences?

Alright, for all the atheists in here, I have a question:

Do you really know that there is no God any more than any Christian knows there is?

We're all trying to evoke our belief as THE TRUTH, and I find atheists generally try to make anyone other than themselves feel stupid, as if they are the one verifiable belief out there. Obviously this is a generalization, but it really got me thinking about what makes atheism so favourable.

Tell me: how do you know for sure that there is no higher power or anything beyond what we can observe? Are we really capable of knowing just because we can't see something that it is not there at all?

Reactions: MetalAges
Atheism IS the most logical belief. If there is NO evidence that something exists, than it is logical to believe that it doesn't. The burden of proof is on the accuser. I know that god doesn't exist just like I know unicorns or the tooth fairy don't exist. One could make the argument it is impossible to disprove those things too, but that doesn't make it logical to believe in them.

To me something that you can't touch or see is not real. I don't care what some book says or what someone wrote, or saw,etc... I don't see how the bible has anything to do with me.

Alright, for all the atheists in here, I have a question:

Do you really know that there is no God any more than any Christian knows there is?

We're all trying to evoke our belief as THE TRUTH, and I find atheists generally try to make anyone other than themselves feel stupid, as if they are the one verifiable belief out there. Obviously this is a generalization, but it really got me thinking about what makes atheism so favourable.

Tell me: how do you know for sure that there is no higher power or anything beyond what we can observe? Are we really capable of knowing just because we can't see something that it is not there at all?
Being fairly familiar with the bible and how illogical it is, I don't think there is a Christian god. I have said the same thing about the other religions, assuming they are illogical as well, and how absurd their stories sound when I wasn't told they we correct. From this I call my self an atheist because every god I have been shown seems like a load of shit. There very well could be a god that created the world and just let's up do whatever we want.

And like Cookiecutter said, the burden of proof is not on us, and so far there isn't any evidence of God, besides the religious books, and those are a bunch of bunk. There is no way of knowing exactly if there is or isn't a god, but questioning and disproving what has been shown to is fine to do.

You have senses that detect those things making them real. How is someone suppose to know if god is real.

Being fairly familiar with the bible and how illogical it is, I don't think there is a Christian god. I have said the same thing about the other religions, assuming they are illogical as well, and how absurd their stories sound when I wasn't told they we correct. From this I call my self an atheist because every god I have been shown seems like a load of shit. There very well could be a god that created the world and just let's up do whatever we want.

And like Cookiecutter said, the burden of proof is not on us, and so far there isn't any evidence of God, besides the religious books, and those are a bunch of bunk. There is no way of knowing exactly if there is or isn't a god, but questioning and disproving what has been shown to is fine to do.

Then I have a couple of questions for you!

1. Is the world a logical place? I think you'll find that no matter how illogical something is, it is still in reality possible. Maybe a simpler way of asking this is to remind you of all the situations which happen in real life that would seem so completely unreal/illogical if we hadn't witnessed them. This goes from horrible tragedies to bizarre coincidences to phenomena with miraculous results.

2. We are talking about the possibility of something we can't explain by any current methods of science, etc. Disproving what "has been shown" based on our observation, no matter how rigorous or 'logical' doesn't do anything do disprove the existance of something which is by nature mysterious and esoteric.

Just some thoughts.

The fact that one cannot prove or disprove the existence of god ultimately isn't a determining factor in their faith or lack thereof. Being an atheist, I understand that god cannot be 100% disproved, but the possibility of there not being a supreme being seems to me the most logical outcome. It's basically a numbers game: there are volumes of scientific evidence throughout all schools of scientific thought (physics, biology, geology, etc.) that undoubtedly suggest the lack of a god, rather than the presence of god. Theological evidence is based solely on folklore and tradition, all of which does not use methods of experimentation nor observation to back up their theories.
I also understand that these are my beliefs and my beliefs alone, and it is not fair for me to force them on someone else of vise versa. This is the main issue I take with religion, in that certain "pious" individuals constantly position themselves into roles of authority in order to legislate their beliefs. This is a fact that cannot be argued with, simply look at who's living in the White House.

The fact that one cannot prove or disprove the existence of god ultimately isn't a determining factor in their faith or lack thereof. Being an atheist, I understand that god cannot be 100% disproved, but the possibility of there not being a supreme being seems to me the most logical outcome. It's basically a numbers game: there are volumes of scientific evidence throughout all schools of scientific thought (physics, biology, geology, etc.) that undoubtedly suggest the lack of a god, rather than the presence of god. Theological evidence is based solely on folklore and tradition, all of which does not use methods of experimentation nor observation to back up their theories.
I also understand that these are my beliefs and my beliefs alone, and it is not fair for me to force them on someone else of vise versa. This is the main issue I take with religion, in that certain "pious" individuals constantly position themselves into roles of authority in order to legislate their beliefs. This is a fact that cannot be argued with, simply look at who's living in the White House.

Good post! You're definitely not the kind of atheist I have a problem with... that would be the kind who pretty much turn it into a religion anyways!

Then I have a couple of questions for you!

1. Is the world a logical place? I think you'll find that no matter how illogical something is, it is still in reality possible. Maybe a simpler way of asking this is to remind you of all the situations which happen in real life that would seem so completely unreal/illogical if we hadn't witnessed them. This goes from horrible tragedies to bizarre coincidences to phenomena with miraculous results.

2. We are talking about the possibility of something we can't explain by any current methods of science, etc. Disproving what "has been shown" based on our observation, no matter how rigorous or 'logical' doesn't do anything do disprove the existance of something which is by nature mysterious and esoteric.

Just some thoughts.
1. You are comparing things that shouldn't be compared. The bible says the god is all-good, all-knowing, all-powerful, all-(everything), yet he cannot write a book that is perfectly logical and flawless in all ways to have a very skeptical person like me believe? What is so hard about showing me just enough evidence to prove he is there? Is that so hard for all-powerful god?

2. I think the only that it disproves is the Christian god doesn't exist. There is no way right now to prove with absolute certainty that there is no god though.

On a side note, why is it so hard for some religious people to have a decent conversation question the existence of god?

I agree with this, this is what I am trying to say in my previous post, but it probably didn't come out very well. :erk:

1. You are comparing things that shouldn't be compared. The bible says the god is all-good, all-knowing, all-powerful, all-(everything), yet he cannot write a book that is perfectly logical and flawless in all ways to have a very skeptical person like me believe? What is so hard about showing me just enough evidence to prove he is there? Is that so hard for all-powerful god?

2. I think the only that it disproves is the Christian god doesn't exist. There is no way right now to prove with absolute certainty that there is no god though.

On a side note, why is it so hard for some religious people to have a decent conversation question the existence of god?
He didn't write the Bible, humans did.

Indeed it does, but for how long? If you look at how the country has changed since the mass conversion following the events of 9/11/01, you'll notice that religion, while a popular thing back then, now has no place in this society. Nowadays, they're trying to take "under God" out of the Pledge and they already removed the Ten Commandments from that Georgia courthouse.

I call bullshit there. That stuff's been going on a long time, with varying degrees of success, but it's since 9/11 that there's an enormous backlash against it. Christians are much more vocal, for better or worse, since 9/11.

He didn't write the Bible, humans did.

Exactly, this is why so much interpretation is placed within the different sects of Christianity. This differentiation though is probably because many people are too damn literalist when it comes to the bible - not to mention most people are ignorant of there own religions beliefs (and they are fine with this...wtf).

My church is.

Same here. People need to really base judgements, not on mass media scandals and corruption stories, but more on personal experience. BIG difference. And that is also not saying go to one church, experience something bad, so now ALL churches are evil and bad. I left my previous church because of a bad experience(s) - my current one is awesome.