Do you count among those who digs the lyrics?

one thing I love in opeth lyrics is their insistance on using cool words like tapestry and pinnacle =)

Interesting.....
Basically it is too good to resist or refuse. Most of the time the music can make up for a not so good lyrically song. The right melody will lose you in the song. But with Opeth, there is the right lyrics and beautiful melody hand in hand....simply making them a cut above the rest.

Lyrics are important to me tho I always don't understand them so well. A song can be good if it hasn't so good lyrics but when it has those it's much more "deeper" and it has more meaning.

I've always been used to knowing what's going on in a song by the lyrics, but the first time I read the lines to Orchid, I was like what the hell does this mean? Lines like.. "At the waters I dwell. The waves are still whispering, Ancient lullabies. I die.... While our mystic brothers still seek." confused me. It was describing a mood at that point in the story rather than just telling a story. It actually made it that much better for me.

I fell in love with simple phrases like "Autumn's proud treetops." and "She is like water drops over the pyre." right away.

On one hand I like the addition the lyrics can bring to the song's overall "mood", but usually that fails and hence I've become more and more uninterested in lyrics lately.

If there's a story to be told, the lyrical approach usually fails because one has to squeeze so much into so little. Describing the emotions, the storyline and depicting the mental scene in which the story takes place is a damn demanding task.

I'm practically ashamed of the lyrics I've written for Thales because I don't think lyrics are very important and I think that attitude is reflected in the stuff I've written. I also don't think I'm too good a storyteller; I can't dress my thoughts into words properly. :|